Taycan sales slump

• According to a so-called insider, Porsche is reportedly considering reducing production of the Taycan in Zuffenhausen to a single-shift operation because demand collapsed in the first half of 2024.

The slump in Q1 in particular is said to have been considerable compared to the same period of the previous year. However, there will be no price reduction, as is quite common with other providers in such cases.

Here is the corresponding article, which, as already written, refers to an insider :pfeil: https://www.golem.de/news/pors…-prozent-2407-186783.html

Greetings, Wolfgang

This post has been automatically translated.

• The Taycan Turbo GT is artificially scarce and the other models are not sold. Also a special logic. But what do you want to do when a VFL Taycan Turbo S with around 6,000 kilometers from 1st hand is offered for less than 100,000 euros instead of 220,000 euros new? The prospective buyer will certainly think twice about whether to buy new or used.

https://finder.porsche.com/de/…lership=4881&order=newest

• I can well imagine that. You have to remember that the car was originally only planned for 20,000 units per year. The disproportionate success came from the fact that it was the only good-looking and sporty electric car and the only electric Porsche. Now there is the Macan and then the 718 - an SUV that everyone wants to drive and a real sports car with two doors. Those who opt for these electric Porsches are missing out on some of the Taycan's customers. In addition, China is becoming increasingly difficult for all European vehicles. So you are well advised to only drive one shift. They want to offer fewer and more expensive Taycans. That's a good strategy.

• Isn't it actually normal for fewer VFLs to be sold shortly before the FL?

You can certainly assume that, yes.

Nevertheless, the news that production is supposedly to be reduced to single-shift operation is surprising, at least to me. After all, the facelift - although as a "non-Taycan expert" I don't even know whether it's a facelift or a new model - is on the market. You would think that demand would increase.

Greetings, Wolfgang

• Isn't that "all quite normal" in economic terms?

When demand falls, you have to reduce supply/production.....:wink:

Taycan / EZ 11/2021 / Perf+ / dolomitesilver

BMW i3s / EZ 04/2022 / 120 Ah / kaschmirsilber

• That is indeed the case GerhardF

The news is surprising to me because it was to be expected that demand would fall due to the upcoming facelifts. However, the fact that demand is now apparently still sluggish and production is to be cut back was not necessarily to be expected.

This may also be related to the new Macan, which is to be delivered soon - a kind of cannibalization effect.

Greetings, Wolfgang

• Presumably also a question of the amount of the leasing installments. I spoke to someone the other day who will be returning his VFL in the fall. New leasing offer for an FL didn't really motivate him. Unfortunately, I didn't ask for specific figures :( Macan leasing doesn't seem to be cheap compared to the Taycan either, especially compared to the purchase price.

My uninformed opinion, presumably they've thought about the residual values, someone has to take responsibility and normally it's the lessee.

• Isn't it true that in the first half of 2024 (at least in Germany) almost all e-car figures have collapsed? Before you end up with 10,000 cars in stockpiles like Tesla & co., a reduction in production is only logical. Perhaps they are just freeing up capacity for another model, as long as the eMacan, for example, could also be produced on the same line.

• Perhaps they are just freeing up capacity for another model, provided that the eMacan, for example, could also be produced on the same line.

No, that's not possible: Taycan in Zuffenhausen, eMacan in Leipzig.

(I think BMW is really better positioned with its strategy....). :wink:

Taycan / EZ 11/2021 / Perf+ / dolomitesilver

BMW i3s / EZ 04/2022 / 120 Ah / kaschmirsilber