Jump start for 6 V

• Hello everyone. I have a 356 C, built in 1964 with 6 V.

To be on the safe side, I would like to buy a power bank (jump starter) that I can use to start the vehicle in an emergency. At the moment I can only find 12 V devices online: For example: https://amzn.to/4cQR9cU [Advertisement]

Can anyone recommend something like this for 6 V?

Thanks for your advice.

Greetings

Peter

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello Peter!

I haven't seen a 6V jump starter either.

You could therefore use a 12V jump starter only with a 2nd 6V battery connected in series. This is of course impractical and is probably not the option you are looking for. However, this is how I used to charge my two 6 V batteries with a 12 V charger.

Greetings Ingo

• Just Google "battery booster 6V" and you will find some offers, although these are not Li-ion boosters, but mostly lead-gel batteries in a housing with jumper cables attached, so rather a little heavier, but reliable.

Or you can get a 6V lead-gel battery with a little capacity and build a suitable holder in the car, then you can easily work with jumper cables. You just have to remember to charge it regularly.

Lead-gel batteries have the great advantage that they cannot leak, even if they are upside down.

Greetings

Nach 320'000 Spiegeleiern kann die Kantine nicht so schlecht gewesen sein!
    Harm Lagaay

PS: Ich heisse nicht Greetz k:thinking:

• So all the devices that are on the market are sold out. Only one device for over 500 SFR is available. So much for the market situation.....

I always do it like this in a pinch. Connect the 12 volt battery to the positive and the negative cable to the driver's door. Then start the starter and hold the negative cable to the ground of the body (floor brake/door wedge etc.). As soon as the engine is running, disconnect the earth immediately. Important, as the voltage drop is only present when the starter motor is turning.

Another option is to disconnect the positive cable to the starter motor and connect terminal 51 on the controller and battery directly here. After that, however, you should quickly reconnect the 51 and the starter cable, as otherwise the regulator is likely to fail. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about the regulator, but it supposedly breaks if you disconnect the battery while the engine is running ?????

• You can build them yourself. 2 Lifepo4 60-100 Ah cells and battery management for 200A should work.

Available on Aliexpress for little money.

• Thanks to everyone who has answered me so far.
    After consulting with an experienced (older mechanic) at a regional Bosch workshop, they used to start the 6 V vehicles with 12 V because it was only for a short time on 12 V and there were no electronics in the old cars.

So in an emergency I will do it with a starter that is actually for 12 V and hope that nothing happens

Greetings

Peter

PCW

• Hello,

maybe a little bit O.T.

I had a Karmann Buggy, originally with 6 volt equipment.

I had completely converted it electrically to 12 volts, except...the starter motor, which remained in 6 volts. It started without any problems, just look at the key and it was "there".

Of course, I don't know how the other components react at that moment (ignition coil, idle cut-off valve, automatic starter...). if a 356 engine has such a thing )

Volker

911 Carrera Coupe; Bj 1986; US Version; 3,2; 207 PS; ---- der wurde das Ersatzfahrzeug für den Karmann GF Buggy

1303 Cabrio Bj 1978

Neuerdings noch einen 4 Zylinder Wasserkocher. VW Polo 86 c Bj. 1987 1000 ccm 44 PS ein gewaltiger Hammer.

• (...) So in an emergency I will do this with a starter that is actually for 12 V and hope that nothing happens

Probably nothing will happen to the starter motor. (see #7)

But how will the indicator lights (charge control, oil pressure) react?