Rebuild the engine yourself

• I'm in the process of building a second engine for my 356. Over the last few years, I've been collecting parts for it from time to time, or buying a few parts when the opportunity arose. In the meantime I have collected the following:

- 616/1 engine case and 912 engine case
    - AA ChromMoly crankshaft
    - 32 Zenith carburetor with C-Jets (completely overhauled) and a set of 40 Solex carburetors
    - AA 1720cc big bore kit, Biral cylinder and JE forged pistons (30 degree)
    - 912 cylinder heads
    - SC intake manifold
    - Elgin camshaft #66509 (aka "Maestro Grind")
    - 123 Ignition system, 6V
    - Aluminum oil cooler

I also have a set of new 40 Weber. I'm currently running them on the engine I have installed, but I'm not 100% happy with them.

The engine should mainly have power and torque between 1000 and 4000 rpm, the top end is not so important to me. The performance target is +/- 110 hp. My original plan was to have the engine built by one of the well-known engine builders for these engines, but to be honest I'm not prepared to pay the price for a 356 engine that I paid last year for a new 911 engine for one of my F models! That's why I'm now taking it into my own hands. I've built countless Harley engines in the past and, more recently, a few air-cooled BMW boxer engines. The latter is basically nothing more than half a 356 engine 8)

Are there any users here who have built their own engines and would like to share their experiences?

This post has been automatically translated.

Aktuell:

992 GT3

991.2 Carrera T

991.1 4S Cabrio

997.2 GT3

964 Outlaw

911 Outlaw

911 1967 SWB

356 Outlaw

• Hello,

I have not yet worked on a 356 engine, so I suppose I won't write you anything new but:

- I would fine-balance the crankshaft

- weigh the pistons and connecting rods

- if you drill, then only with a drill bit and under the same tension (tightening torque) of the head to the matching stud bolts (ARP) to the matching head gasket

- Polish the inputs nicely

- Set the piston ring butt dimension

This is how I did it on my overloaded 2 liter engine and it only got 80tkm under full load until I sold the car.

• Hello!

The decisive factor with the 356 engine is the machining of the original parts. In any case, the housing should be spindled by an expert to match the new bearing set. It is also necessary to grind the crankshaft to the correct dimensions, balance it (with a swing) and nitride it. The cylinder heads must then also be machined to match the piston/cylinder set (produce suitable compression).

It also makes sense to convert the housing (or cover) to a full flow main flow filter.

If you are aiming for 110 hp, a well-made 40cc Solex is the right choice.

VG Ingo