• Hi there,

I tried to bleed the cooling system of my 996 C2 FL today, and I can't get any further with the heating. The cooling water gets 80-90 degrees warm, the radiators at the front get warm and the two fans at the front also start up. The heater, on the other hand, remains ice cold. The problem is that the supply and return pipes are cold. Lying under the car, I felt that the pipes are cold from the rear axle to the heat exchanger at the front. I then loosened the pipes at the heat exchanger to see if there was too much air in the system. There was a bit of air, but then the water quickly followed. Unfortunately, there was no improvement.

Apparently the heating circuit has no circulation at all. My question now is whether there is a valve or thermostat that opens the heating circuit or something similar? I haven't been able to find anything in the parts catalog so far.

Or am I just too stupid to bleed the cooling system properly?

Kind regards Olli

This post has been automatically translated.

• Have you turned the heating "all the way up"?

• That doesn't matter either. The setting only affects the air flow.

However, the heat exchanger may have become clogged.

This is the case with a neighbor's Audi convertible. You can't even blow through it with compressed air.

But you can't change it as easily as on the 996.

• Thanks for the tip,

I have just blown through the heat exchanger with compressed air. It is definitely free, and not too tight.

• For the sake of interest, I have now pressurized the supply and return lines with compressed air. It bubbles out of the expansion tank in the supply line and nothing happens in the return line. It builds up back pressure.

Now the question is whether the return line goes open into the cooling system or whether there is something in between, which I could not discover, that opens and closes the circuit.

• For the sake of interest, I have now pressurized the supply and return lines with compressed air. It bubbles out of the expansion tank in the supply line and nothing happens in the return line. It builds up back pressure.

Now the question is whether the return line goes open into the cooling system, or whether there is something in between, which I could not discover, that opens and closes the circuit.

tiptronic?