Battery switch / alarm system

• Hello everyone,

I need some input for an admittedly quite specific application. My vehicle is a 2011 Turbo 4S (the 530 hp version).

The short form: Can I disconnect the battery for several weeks each year without anything negative happening?

The long form:
    Bought it as a fun car at the time but now I only drive it quite rarely. I don't want to decommission it, but realistically I only drive it 4 times a year.
    So that's the use case.
    Unfortunately, due to the lack of a power connection, the battery is now always flat after about 8 weeks and, logically, I don't feel like bypassing it every time I want to drive. The fact that I always have to unlock it right at the door is also annoying, but ok.

So now I've thought about buying a switch for the positive terminal of the battery and simply turning off the juice.
    My only question is whether something happens, does something break on the control units, or does the alarm system go off at some point when the power has run out completely, resets something, things like that.
    And yes I know that's not good for the tires and gasoline etc. and why not rather sell it or ride a bike etc etc. - but that's not the subject of this thread and my question.

Thank you!

This post has been automatically translated.

• I have had a battery isolator installed for years and it works perfectly. So far, switching it on and off has not caused any defects in the control units etc. You just get a few error messages after switching the isolator back on, but these disappear relatively quickly when driving.

When mounting such disconnectors on the battery, please never mount them on the positive terminal, always on the negative terminal!

• Oh, that's good to know. So the positive terminal remains permanently connected?

Thank you!

• Most "disconnect terminals" are for the positive terminal, for example,

Gruß Wilfried

Lieber unanständig jung bleiben, als anständig alt werden. :wink:

997 4 FL 3,6L

• Most "disconnect terminals" are for the positive terminal, for example,

How do you determine that? Because it says so in the product description or on the packaging?

Mounting on the negative terminal is logical, who wants to have a huge positive terminal in the form of an uninsulated disconnector not far from the inner body parts? If you let the clamp come loose, the part will turn towards the bodywork or earth and the car will burn down.

There's a reason why the negative terminal is disconnected from the positive terminal when changing the battery.

• Hello,

similar questions, I also drive it maybe 3 tkm/year.

I used battery isolators (on the negative terminal) for a while... At some point, opening the front flap via the battery at the fuse box terminal got on my nerves.

I have now routed a charging cable for ctek to the bottom right below the LED indicators and just plug in/out from the outside and off you go.

• Hello,

similar questions, I also drive it maybe 3 tkm/year.

I used battery isolators (on the negative terminal) for a while... At some point, opening the front flap via the battery at the fuse box terminal got on my nerves.

I have now laid a charging cable for ctek to the bottom right below the LED indicators and plug in/out from the outside and off you go.

It has no socket nearby:old:

• Hi, thanks for your answers.

In fact, the battery has always been sufficient for the interior light and unlocking the front flap.
    Hmm, that means I would have to leave the front flap open, otherwise the effort is just as annoying as bridging it :/

• Wow, how awesome is that! I will buy it immediately!

Many thanks for this brilliant recommendation. (I'll panic that I'll hit the switch while driving when it's installed).