Speedometer problem despite revision

• Hello everyone...

I'm sure it's been posted many times before,

Up to just under 100 km/h, my speedometer is a guessing tool...

During the overhaul, I had the speedometer cable replaced and, due to a defective odometer, had a new gear wheel replaced by a master watchmaker, including cleaning and a new shaft. The "rest" is in good condition...

So what is the problem...what is defective up to 100 km/h...and healthy again from 100 km/h?

Thanks & greetings Axel

This post has been automatically translated.

• If it's the speedo (what else), buy a used speedo.

Strange though, the speedometer is pretty much the only part of the car that doesn't break, with the possible exception of the pinion. Hence the relatively large supply of used parts.

However, I can't imagine much about a speedometer estimator. Are there any special rims on it? The speedometer can only cope with the original sizes.

• ...in the range 0 to 100 km/h the speedometer needle bobs back and forth +- 30 km/h...from 100 km/h everything is fine. The rims are original.

• Yes, then the speedometer cable is probably incorrectly installed or defective again. Only a new replacement will help.

The shaft is extremely sensitive. Remove the instrument cluster, attach the new shaft to the old shaft with tape and pull the new shaft through the bulkhead from the engine compartment, then carefully bend it downwards towards the left-hand wheel. Grease the shaft a little at the grommet towards the wheel so that it flows into the wheel bearing housing.

+-30 is extreme, however.

• ...I did indeed "bend" the inside of the new shaft incorrectly when installing it, so that the speedometer was pushed out again and again. So of course it is possible that the shaft has been damaged.

Thanks Northwest for the explanation!

Greetings Axel

• ...in the range 0 to 100 km/h the speedometer needle bobs back and forth +- 30 km/h...from 100 km/h everything is fine. The rims are original.

Hm, maybe another wheel is slipping after all?
    If the new shaft doesn't have the desired effect ... then send it to Tacho-Thomas.

He does really good work for reasonable money.