3.0 l SC engine from 1979 - magnesium?

• Good morning to the forum,

Unfortunately I have no experience (yet) with the G model - I drive a 997.1T.
    However, I have been thinking about buying a G model from 1973, the year I was born. But the magnesium problem has unfortunately put me off buying one.

My question: Does the 3.0 l SC engine from 1979 no longer have magnesium parts and therefore have a minor dry-running problem? Or are there also brittle magnesium parts in addition to the gaskets?

And a second question: how does the 915 gearbox drive?

Many thanks :blumengruss: to the forum and have a good and safe journey at all times:drive:

This post has been automatically translated.

• My question: Does the 3.0 l SC engine from 1979 no longer have magnesium parts

Mg ended with the 1977 2.7L engines.

and therefore a minor dryness issue?

If the engine has never been "done" -- then many are also wet as a gravel truck.

And even "done" -- is NOT a seal of approval.....

Or are there brittle magnesium parts in addition to the gaskets?

Dilas?

Dilas stud bolts.........................

Leaking oil cooler on the 6th cylinder.

- but drive 997.1T.

And second question: how does the 915 transmission drive?

Test drive 5-6 cars - then you can see for yourself.

1st traffic light test:

Push the clutch in - twenty-one - then 1st gear in - you can/must count how often this doesn't work at all or only with the most brutal force in 50 attempts.

2nd First gear back in after you have already been in 2nd gear -- i.e. when rolling with approx. 10km/h remaining speed -- how often and how often does first gear go back in?

BEFORE the saying comes up here once again:

"The situation doesn't even exist" outrage and murder"

I have the situation permanently in city traffic.

3rd gear change at 6500 rpm and 67km/h from first to second gear.

MANY 915s don't allow this either -- only with several attempts.

4. engaging second gear after the traffic lights, when you have "only" turned first gear up to 2000-2200 rpm -- this is also a complete cramp for many 915s.

Here, many 915s only allow exactly this test if you ALWAYS turn first gear up to 3000 rpm and ONLY THEN want to engage 2nd gear.

For me, on average 1-2 cars out of TWENTY fail with a grade of 5 or 6 -- so -- have fun.

Oh yes -- have you ever owned anything older than 10 years? Or always new new new new???

Porsche workshop for airis you have to know BEFORE YOU BUY.

A key must fit ALL locks -- otherwise it's a garbage can.

Mutt car?

Nickobomber?

These are questions that are always forgotten on the phone.

When the salesman says:

"Never bothered me....!" Hang up without saying goodbye!!!

Lars

Nur wenn du schwarze Striche vom Kurvenausgang bis zum nächsten Bremspunkt ziehen kannst, hast du wirklich genug Leistung(Mark Donohue).

Im Alter wird man immer knackiger -- da knackt es und da knackt es...

Sechs 964er bisher mit abgerissenen Dilas --- 14(!!!) Ventilfederbrüche bei den letzten 5 Motoren! 4:3:3:1:3

Porsche 911 -- der Volkssportwagen...

"Hoffnung -- ist immer ein Mangel an Information!"

Wer restauriert -- verliert...

• Mg ended with the 1977 2.7L engines

Ditto 915 gearbox housing. From 78 Silumin housing (Al Si alloy). So if an AT transmission from 77 or older is installed in an SC, it also has an Mg housing...

Greetings Thomas

81er ex-US 911 SC Coupé, platinmet., eSSD, K-Leder sw., Turboheckflügel & -frontspoiler, NSW, Maxilite 7/8J, Bilstein Fw("SpoStra" - noch...), 915/61, 930/16 o.Kat, WebCam 20/21 NW, hydr.KS, Dansk 92.502SD, 123 Ignition, orig. Porsche SWV, Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit, Momo Prototipo m.Nabenerhöhung

„Nicht das Auto verdirbt den Charakter, aber wer keinen Charakter hat, sollte nicht Auto fahren.“

Ferdinand Porsche

• Many thanks to you both!!! That has already helped me a lot!!!

• For me, on average 1-2 cars out of TWENTY fail with a grade of 5 or 6 -- so -- have fun.

Sorry -- misspelled.

It should read:

I fail 18-19 915 cars (out of 20) -- and only 1-2 get a perfect score from me.

Shame on me...

Lars

Nur wenn du schwarze Striche vom Kurvenausgang bis zum nächsten Bremspunkt ziehen kannst, hast du wirklich genug Leistung(Mark Donohue).

Sechs 964er bisher mit abgerissenen Dilas --- 14(!!!) Ventilfederbrüche bei den letzten 5 Motoren! 4:3:3:1:3

Edited once, last by Ruf CTR (June 23, 2024 at 11:33 PM).

• ... oh yes, the good old ostracized 915 transmission, the forum filler.

my experience: if all the bushings and the clutch coupler are in good order or have been replaced, the shift rod is correctly adjusted and the correct gear oil has been filled in, then the gearbox shifts without any problems when warmed up, if you don't shift through the gears, but shift normally with a little delay. even the first gear when starting off or reverse gear are then no problem. installation of a spring that pulls the gearshift to the right is advantageous for shifting precision. revision with synchronizer rings and bearings approximately every 150 tkm, easier and cheaper than with the successor g50 borg-warner. transmission and engine bearings should not be worn out. removal and installation of a defective starter is also easier than with the thicker b.-w-.

greetings, winnie

Einer, der weiss, dass er nichts weiss,

weiss mehr als einer, der nicht weiss,

dass er nichts weiss ?:-) ?:-) :thumb:

• I know enough cars where EVERYTHING has been overhauled, shift bushings all new -- car still doesn't shift.

Gearbox revision is like playing the lottery.

Can work -- but can also just tear a hole in your wallet.

A buddy of mine sold his 3.2 out of frustration with the 915.

if you don't shift through the gears, but shift normally with a little delay.

Then it shouldn't have been a gearbox.

Lars