Instrument cluster "dead" Car drives without problems

• I drive a Cayenne 955 Turbo 9PA (2004)...

The other day while driving, the instrument cluster went out. It smelled burnt at that moment...

The water temperature display and the fuel level are the only displays in the instrument cluster that still work. ABS is illuminated and the "Brake" light is flashing. The car can be driven without any problems, but the front windshield wipers, Thempomat and the reversing lights do not work.

The fuses all have continuity after checking with the multimeter.

Below is the forecast I received today.

(Via E-OBD I can easily read out the already known errors that were previously shown on the display).

Is it due to a relay? Is it the Canbus?

I'm at a loss at the moment and don't really know my way around wiring diagrams etc. :-\

Greetings Marc

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello Marc

It is very likely that your gateway control unit has gone. I've already had a few times where I coded the gateway out of curiosity.

The gateway has the task of providing communication between control units.

The gateway is installed behind the glove compartment in cars after 2004, before that it was installed in the combi instrument. Then it becomes more expensive because the whole speedometer has to be replaced. You have to find out which version you have. Can you read out the instrument cluster? The designation RB4 is the old one up to 2004 or RB8 is the new one. Or remove the speedometer and look at the stickers. It's there too. This is important to know.

If RB8 then everything is half as bad in terms of price. Gateway brought for year 2004 costs 30 Euro. But must then be adapted. But be careful with piwis not to code but only to adapt the configuration and correct ViN.

If you need more help let me know

Lg Paul

• Hello Paul

Thank you for your detailed reply :)

I will check this at the next opportunity.

I wonder if it is due to the age of the gateway or if the LED dipped headlights installed 4 months ago may have caused this🤔

Greetings and many thanks

Marc

• Hello

Today I had the opportunity to remove the glove compartment, but unfortunately I had to realize that my car must be the version with the integrated control unit.

As I can't code it myself... Is there a possibility to send the speedometer to a company for repair? So that I can just install it?

Or would it be best to go to a Porsche dealership?

Greetings Marc

• Hello Marc

Do you have the possibility to read out the speedometer?

I mean the data from the speedometer. Manufacturer date and whether it is RB4 or RB8.

RB4 can be bought for about 300 €. Is

the cheapest alternative in my opinion. How far do you live from 59368 werne.?Repair is too expensive and you have to adapt the gateway to the car if it is installed.

I have piwis 3 and can do it. I installed a 385 hp speedometer from the turbo s in my 957 and it works

• Hello Paul

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately, I live 733km away and don't trust my car to make the journey at the moment...

I have seen that there are several offers forPIWIS on the net, I am thinking about buying one.

Unfortunately, I was unable to read the speedometer. But I will try again. Then I'll remove the speedometer and check the Aufkleber👍🏻

Many thanks for your commitment, your information was very helpful weitergeholfen👍🏻

If I need to change the speedometer, I'll be happy to get in touch with you.

Many thanks and best regards from Switzerland

Marc

• I've seen that there are several offers forPIWIS on the net, I'm thinking of buying one.

What do you want with it, I could also buy my daughter a CNC lathe *8):rf:

BG Frank k:beach:

Die Moral der Geschicht: Mezger-Motoren sterben nicht, 8:-)Mann muss sie mit Gewalt töten !:roargh::) :drive::)

• I've seen that there are several offers forPIWIS on the net, I'm thinking of buying one.

What do you want with it, I could also buy my daughter a CNC lathe *8):rf:

On this occasion :rf:

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Meine ehemaligen und aktuellen porsches:
    924 (verkauft)
    944 S2 (verkauft)
    Boxster 986 Non S mit 3,2 Liter (verkauft)
    Cayenne S 955 (verkauft)

Cayenne Turbo 958 (aktuell)

996 Turbo RS (aktuell)

991.2 GT3RS Weissach (aktuell)

Member of: Porsche Club República Dominicana
    Club 9Once República Dominicana

"Die guten Fahrer haben die Fliegen auf der Seitenscheibe kleben" (Walter Röhrl, der beste Rallye Fahrer aller zeiten)