Question about original Porsche connecting rod bearings

• Hello folks,

I am currently rebuilding a 964 engine.

I bought original Porsche connecting rod bearings.

I noticed a color marking on the bearing shells.

In each box, one shell is always marked blue and one shell red. As far as I know, there were no upper and lower shells on the 964.

Unfortunately, the Porsche man didn't know why the color markings were there and there's nothing in the owner's manual either.

Do you have any idea?

This post has been automatically translated.

• I recommend that you measure and compare the bearing shells on both sides at 3.6 + 9 o'clock before installation. This can be done quite easily with a micrometer screw and a ø 5 or 6 bolt.

964 C2 Cab., '93, Schalter, Schwarz, LM220, H&R Fahrwerk

(>>suche Monteverdi High Speed 375 L 2+2<<)

• I was able to get these bearings with ARP screws from a friend in the USA. I built the ARP clock / bracket myself.

But my shells had no color coding. I don't know them from previous engines either.

• There are definitely no upper and lower shells, or better right and left.

What the color codes are for is not clear.

Gruß Ralf

964 C2 Tiptronic Cabrio Bj 91 LMM 220

• Hello everyone,

I don't know the special Porsche bearing shells and codes in detail.

I can only say from my BMW knowledge of the E46, especially the M54, that the bearing shells are marked red and blue.
    There, the blue one must be installed in the top of the connecting rod (on the piston side) and the red one in the connecting rod cover.
    Regardless of whether oversize bearing shells are installed or not, they all have the same color marking.

I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, it just occurred to me spontaneously when I saw the red and blue bearing shells.

LG Chris

Porsche 964 C2 Mj 1990 Handschalter Grand-Prix-Weiss :S

• The color markings indicate the tolerance field size of the tray. Sometimes there are also 2 yellow marked trays inside

• Can someone please enlighten me. I don't understand that there should be shells in such different classes in one set. This does not fit nmM to the tolerance position of the KW pivots ?! I only know tolerances of max. 1-1.5 /00 on the shells and in the set.

• that was before. now made in south africa, romania, ....!
    everything that doesn't hit the garbage can goes into shipping. this is how xxxx has damaged its reputation in the long term. even standard bearing shells for the 911 were stuck on the spigots.

only the ones from the pz were true to size.

:wink: