Charge/maintain car battery via cigarette lighter with mobile battery?

• Hello,

I have been looking for a battery (portable) AND a cigarette lighter adapter with which I can charge my car battery in the Porsche 997
    and maintain the charge level.

Is such a device suitable?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/335376…id=p4429486.c101196.m2219

or:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/285758…id=p4429486.c101196.m2219

I am confused by the output of the first one with the indication 12V/19 V

The second one only has 19 V.

AND please don't think "how can you access such junk": I have also been in contact with CTEK,
    There is a CTEK CS FREE (battery-operated) but even with a cigarette lighter adapter, only the CTEK battery is charged by the car battery and not the other way round:

Or this one:

https://www.pearl.de/a-ZX3023-1420.shtml

What happens after the "10-15 minutes" of charging if you just leave it on overnight and don't use it for jump starting and then lock it up accordingly?

Looking forward to any input!

:wink:

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello,:wink:

The jump-start boosters are only intended to start a vehicle with a flat battery, but not to maintain the battery when the vehicle is stationary for a longer period of time.
    They can deliver an extremely high current for a short time, which is sufficient for starting.

The battery cannot really be charged with this, at least I don't know of any of these devices that support this function.
    Here in the forum, trickle charging without a socket was once carried out with a CTEK and a NOVOO Powerstation.

Maybe that will help

Regards
    Jörg ( Beaver )

Computer sind auch nur Menschen:rf:k:facepalm:8)

• NOVOO Powerstation.

Perfect, so in combination it will be the (only) solution, thank you!

The NOVOO is specified with 40,000 mAh. Does that mean that you can theoretically charge a 900 maH car battery about 40 times?

• Hi there,

I use the charging box from Fritec

https://shop.fritec-ladegeraet….-12-v-batterieladegeraet

This worked very well in the winter of 2023/2024. Charging takes place either via the cigarette lighter or by connecting to the battery terminals. The thing is also supposed to be suitable as a jump starter, but after asking the manufacturer, it is only suitable for motorcycles because the current flow from the car starter could be too high for the wiring. But I haven't needed it and wouldn't try it. You just have to go to the car more often, especially when charging is complete, as the charging box should not be left standing around discharged for too long. I can't say how long the battery in the charging box can withstand the charging cycles, but there is a replacement battery (EUR 45.90) that you can also use yourself.

I also have this charge monitor to monitor the battery

https://www.intact-batterien.d…geraete-co/battery-guard/

VG

• I also have the Fritec box...

The built-in battery in the 997 can be recharged via the cigarette lighter.

Jump starting is also possible with the fritec to a certain extent, but it also depends on the condition of the battery in the object to be started...both times it was a mid-range car, petrol engine with approx. 60 AH batteries and they were not completely empty but too weak to turn the starter and it was summer, but I would not use the fritec for jump starting in "heavy" applications (diesel, completely empty battery, high power requirement etc.) it will not be able to cope with this and is also not designed for this imho

• The NOVOO is specified with 40,000 mAh. Does this mean that you can theoretically charge a 900 maH car battery approx. 40 times?

No.

You are mixing units. There is no such thing as a 900 maH car battery

997 mk2 Turbo S coupe 2012 99.000 km

993 4S coupe Handschalter 1996, 187.000 km

• Ah, thanks, great!

So the NOVOO is enough for about half a car battery charge (i.e. when fully drained)

• Yes, they write 40,000 mAh (milliampere-hours), then it looks like more.
    That's 40 Ah (ampere-hours). A car battery typically has twice as much.

When I didn't have a socket in the garage, I charged a separate car battery with the CTEK somewhere else.
    Then I used this fully-charged car battery to power an alternating rectifier (camping).
    And then I connected the CTEK to this alternating current converter and charged the battery in the car via the cigarette lighter.
    A little awkward and inefficient, but it worked.

Christian
    :kwink:

• Well, you don't want to charge the battery from empty to full, you want to "maintain" a full battery.
    You can easily disconnect the NOVOO from the car for 1-2 weeks, charge it comfortably at home and then reconnect it.
    How long the part lasts until it is empty depends heavily on the consumption of the car.8:-)

Regards

Jörg ( Beaver )

Computer sind auch nur Menschen:rf:k:facepalm:8)