• Hello everyone,

I've had a problem with my Boxster for some time now, namely an engine control light due to the lambda sensor after catalytic converter bank 1.

After replacing the manifold, catalytic converter, lambda sensors. LMM, air filter etc. It still did not work.
    I then drove to the AU to find out the lambda value and to question the functioning of the catalytic converters.

Result: both work perfectly. See photo.

Took the car with a buddy to the garage and fogged it with a secondary engine. I noticed that there is a leak in the right-hand catalytic converter bank 1 where the after-cat probe is, or rather a small vortex has formed, which means that exhaust gases must be escaping there. 💨

Do you think this is a plausible explanation for the MKL? Would you weld the catalytic converter if this is only a small spot and it otherwise works perfectly?

VG

This post has been automatically translated.

• Pictures would help, but if there is a leak in the vapor circle of the aftercat sensor, not only exhaust gas can escape but also air can be sucked in, which then distorts the signal of the sensor, at least the O2 value will go up.

If the hole can simply be welded shut, that is the first step.

Greetings

Nach 320'000 Spiegeleiern kann die Kantine nicht so schlecht gewesen sein!
    Harm Lagaay

PS: Ich heisse nicht Greetz k:thinking:

• This is the catalytic converter housing itself. If there is a hole, don't be surprised if the lambda sensors display errors.

Greetings

Harm Lagaay

• Do you think welding is OK there? Or is that possible?

• How well the welding works can only be judged on the actual component, because it is not a drilled hole, but the material around the damage should be examined more closely. But the cat can withstand simply welding the hole shut or putting a metal sheet over it. The thing also glows from time to time during operation.

Greetings

Harm Lagaay

• Top, then I'll see if I can find someone to weld it :wink:

• Hi, I've just been to the workshop, the catalytic converter has been welded and the error deleted, let's hope that the error will no longer occur.

One of the weld seams on the evaporation circuit was actually loose, after welding you could no longer feel a leak