996 Turbo viscous coupling defective?

• Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have only been a passive reader so far.

Since yesterday, I've been hearing a loud rattling noise (appendix) from the front axle at around 70 km/h. I'm not sure what's causing it. As I'm not sure what's causing it, I don't move the car any more.

So my question to the experts: could it be that a defective viscous coupling is causing this noise? And if so, can I simply remove it without hesitation and practically immobilize 4WD?

Thanks and regards Peter

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have only been a passive reader so far.

Since yesterday, I've been hearing a loud rattling noise (appendix) from the front axle at around 70 km/h. I'm not sure what's causing it. As I'm not sure what's causing it, I don't move the car any more.

So my question to the experts: could it be that a defective viscous coupling is causing this noise? And if so, can I simply remove it without hesitation and practically immobilize 4WD?

Thanks and regards Peter

It's best to listen to everything from below on a 2-post platform, I can't imagine the viscous coupling, I'd rather guess a front axle gearbox

• Yes, of course, but the viscous coupling is also located directly in the front axle differential

• The viscous coupling is located a little further back. To localize the noise, you will have no choice but to run the car on the lift in 2nd gear to determine the cause by touching and listening.

The viscous coupling does not normally make any noise if it is defective.

• So my question to the experts: could it be that a defective viscous coupling is causing this noise?

The viscous coupling normally dies silently, better check if there is still oil in the front axle gearbox :thumb:

And if there is still some in it, what it looks like :roargh:

BG Frank k:beach:

Die Moral der Geschicht: Mezger-Motoren sterben nicht, 8:-)Mann muss sie mit Gewalt töten !:roargh::) :drive::)