Weld in new mounting points

• Hi everyone,

In the course of renewing the underbody protection on my 944/I, I came across a rust spot: At the front "pick-up points", which are not to be used, where any uninformed person would attach the lift or jack.

Unfortunately, a previous owner didn't take this into account at the time and now the mounting point is completely pressed in and even partially cracked, which is why the whole thing is now rusting.

My plumber told me to see if the mounting point and the sheet metal around it (i.e. passenger footwell) are still available new or used. However, I couldn't find anything suitable.

He said that welding a normal plate in there would affect the stability of the whole construction - do you agree? After all, this is not a load-bearing point that is connected to the sill.

Do any of you know of a suitable new / replacement part to weld in, or just a piece of sheet metal and that's that?

LG Michael

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello,
    it looked similar for me and then turned out to be a really big construction site.
    I had the entire corner (sill, wheel arch, floor panel, footrest) cut out of a donor vehicle. I then gave it to the paint stripper.
    That was a good idea because I had to completely replace the floor panel up to behind the footrest, up to under the brake pedal and in the wheel arch up to above the circular bulge.

After that, it was solid again.
    At this point I also recommend the thread by vedro "The sills"

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)

• It doesn't actually look that bad here. First uncover the area of underbody protection and then see what happens. Small repair welds may be enough. I wouldn't be too bothered about whether or not it's indented, just leave it as it is.

• It doesn't actually look that bad here. First uncover the area of underbody protection and then see what happens. Small repair welds may be enough. I wouldn't be too bothered by whether or not it's indented, just leave it as it is.

It didn't look too bad on me either - even less than in the photo above.

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

• It doesn't actually look that bad here. First uncover the area of underbody protection and then see what happens. Small repair welds may be enough. Indented or not would not bother me directly at this point, just leave it as it is.

That's exactly how I see it. The 1s are supposed to be better in terms of rust protection. They also don't have the plastic stuff from the Turbo/S2 on the sill and fender, where all the drainage dirt collects.

So, use a flex brush to remove the underbody protection.

944 S2, 1989
    Am Anfang schuf Gott die Mittellinie.

• ... Please do not use an angle grinder with a steel brush for rust - this will work the rust into the sound material.

A steel brush is good for removing U-protection.

Remove the rust with a CSD disk.

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:

• Thanks for the tips, but I don't think the sills are as rusty as in the article. I also hope that the rust is really only localized and doesn't go towards the wheel housing or driver's underbody.

So do you think you can weld some sheet metal in there, as the mounting point is for the Hugo anyway? That must be enough for the rigidity of the bodywork!

I'm going to clean around it with a hand steel brush and see how big the rust spot is. The tinsmith will do the rest.

LG Michael

• Hello Michael,
    Whether you can reproduce this sheet metal depends entirely on your skills (or those of your tinsmith). In any case, I would use 1 mm deep-drawn sheet metal.
    "Adapt" a thin-walled (2mm) tube for the "mandrel".

It looked less bad for me - before I removed the u-protection.

For a long-term and durable repair, you need "healthy sheet metal to weld onto.

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:

• I would never replace the "spike", even if it is original. At the time of vehicle manufacture, this pin was used exclusively to fix the body to the mounting bracket. However, this issue has been resolved since the vehicle was delivered - but has unfortunately repeatedly led to incorrect jacking problems over the past decades. That's why I think: close the hole and these tiresome problems will be solved once and for all. Otherwise, the jacking dilemma will start all over again.

Beste Grüße - reidiekl (mit Betonung auf der ersten Silbe :-))

* Lächle und sei froh, es könnte schlimmer kommen. Ich lächelte und war froh ... und es kam schlimmer! *
    * Alles wird am Ende gut - ist es noch nicht gut, ist es noch nicht das Ende! *