Presentation of the 928S built in 1980 and historic individual approval in Austria

• Hello Wolfgang

The dampers on the rear axle were always height-adjustable using threaded bushes.

As documentation for your inspector, see the enclosed PET extract. Another possibility would be a copy of the repair manual on the subject of suspension height adjustment.

PS: Inspector in Linz. I had the same issue/experience last year. You can change the inspector. I had a very good experience with Mr. Holzinger during the inspection (as far as I know, he has inspected/approved many 928s).

928 MJ 80 Federung HA.pdf

Hello Wa928!

Could you possibly send me a PN with your contact details, I would be very grateful if I could have a quick chat with you on the phone.

Thank you and Lg

Wolfgang

This post has been automatically translated.

• Learned something again:

In 1980 there was a special form of VIN with 10 digits.
    Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)

• That's how we 928s are:thumbsup:. One helps the other. Someone always knows a solution. That's just great, saves a lot of money and nerves.

Allzeit gute Fahrt wünscht

Bernd

993 Cabrio BJ 03.94, Schalter in schwarz-schwarz-schwarz

928 GTS BJ 10.92, Automat in amazonasgrün-klassikgrau

• After the inspection, I was on the verge of selling the old man directly in Germany again, but now more than ever. Such a lack of expertise when it comes to inspecting historic vehicles is actually a cheek. Especially when someone with ignorance lists defects that I have to refute although they were originally built like this, e.g. coilover rear suspension and wider rear rims etc.

Lg

• Such a lack of expertise when it comes to inspecting historic vehicles is actually a cheek.

I would change the inspector immediately and present this gentleman with an exact list of so many working hours at €100 each for research, and tell him that you have incurred these costs due to his incompetence and that you expect an immediate refund 😁

Combine this with a friendly suggestion to perhaps think about working for the municipal sewer cleaning service with lower requirements 😅😂

Porsche 928 RS MJ 1981 bugattiblau / 5,2L 360 PS GTS Fahrwerk/Getriebe/Bremsen

Klimabedienteil instandsetzen lassen und auf warmweiße LED-Beleuchtung in Originaloptik umrüsten? --> Nachricht an mich!

• Inspired by Tommy's thoughts here on how I would proceed:

First point out his omissions to the examiner in a friendly manner. If he shows understanding and is cooperative from then on, good. If he is (more likely) stubborn, ask for the supervisor and explain the case to him in a friendly manner. If he is also stubborn, still ask for the inspection fees to be refunded in a friendly manner (unfortunately, the general terms and conditions will exclude any further action) due to poor performance and if this is refused, announce that you will write to a lawyer (possibly with reference to the fact that there is no risk for you due to legal protection).

Is it worth the effort? Probably not in terms of money, but the feeling of not having to put up with everything has its advantages ]:-)

• I have to admit that, like the previous speakers, my first thought was to go to the inspection with a lawyer next time, especially if they start scratching the underbody without any clear evidence of corrosion.

I still have two silencers for the S2/3 lying around here. I would lend one out for shipping costs until the issue is resolved. But I don't know if it will fit. 92811104400

Greetings Thilo

928 S3 32V 288PS EZ09/87 VIN WP0zzz92zgs841924

• One more thought as the distance between the rear fender and the tire was criticized as being too small (it was the combination of the 8J16 52.3ET rim and the 21mm spacers):

Could it be that by raising the coilover suspension you can get the distance to a level acceptable to the inspector, at the moment it is maybe 0.8-1cm.

However, there are no marks on the tire, i.e. it has never rubbed.

Thanks for your ideas.

Lg

Wolfgang

• Hello Wolfgang,

If the vehicle is folded to the maximum (possibly still with a loaded trunk) and then there is a ballpoint pen between the wheel and the edge of the mudguard (this is not a standard specification), then most inspectors are satisfied.
    The higher you turn the suspension, the greater this distance becomes.
    The question here would be whether the coilover suspension can still be adjusted, or whether it has always been set this way and is now no longer adjustable due to oxidation.
    Another possibility would be a tire model from a different tire manufacturer with the same dimensions but a less wide tread.
    The differences between the various tire models are sometimes considerable.

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)