Passenger side top unit fixed

• So, everything is working again so far.

Belt tension seems to be sufficient. The fan turns and the power steering also works.
    First test drive was successful :drive:
    The conversion kit from Garage de Loods is actually a neat thing.

I'm just not so sure about the bearing of the fan wheel, see video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Does something need to be done?

Regards
    Klaus

This post has been automatically translated.

Porsche 928S, BJ. 1981, 185 000 km, Platin Metallic, Schalter

• Hi Klaus,

the servo pump has a tensioning screw, of course, it should even smile at you when you look in from above. Or does it look different for you? We still have the "older" pump.

The lower fastening screw of the pump can also be reached from above with a normal ring wrench and a little wiggling.

The fan doesn't wobble as much as in your video. Is it the whole shaft or just the fan? You need to take a closer look at where the play is coming from.

David

928S -- MJ 84 -- 4,7 M28/21 -- G28/12 -- CH

968 -- MJ 92 -- 3,0 M44/44

924 -- MJ 85 -- 2,0 XK

• I would no longer drive with this fan

• I'm just not so sure about the bearing of the fan wheel ....Does something need to be done there?

Yes, most likely both ball bearings and possibly the viscous coupling shaft are in a mess :pfeil: Replace

928 106 445 02 Grooved ball bearing
    928 106 441 05 Grooved ball bearing

I have also seen a worn fan wheel carrier before.

VG
    Thommy

Porsche 928 RS MJ 1981 bugattiblau / 5,2L 360 PS GTS Fahrwerk/Getriebe/Bremsen

Klimabedienteil instandsetzen lassen und auf warmweiße LED-Beleuchtung in Originaloptik umrüsten? --> Nachricht an mich!

• Hi, I'm not sure - I seem to remember that my 81 has a clamping device. But if it's just a bracket with a slotted hole (I remember this from my 02, among others), and no helper is available, you'll have to fix the pump in the correct position (wedge? tensioning strap?) if you can't hold and tighten it at the same time.

• It actually looks different for me, see photos below.
    I have not been able to find a clamping device for the servo pump.

In my (English) workshop manual, this is also shown on pages 13-17.
    On the same page, the auxiliary air pump, air conditioning compressor and alternator are also shown without a tensioner.

However, my car has tensioners on the auxiliary air pump, air conditioning compressor and alternator, but not on the servo pump ?:-(

On page 13-18, the whole thing is then illustrated for '32 Valve Engine' with tensioners for all units.
    Interestingly, the clamping device for the servo pump looks different there than at Boonekamp.
    Something seems to have changed constantly in the earlier model years.

I simply pushed the servo pump over by hand so that the belt was halfway taut and tightened the screws at the front at the same time. It worked quite well. I also have the impression that the V-belt doesn't need much tension at all.

• I still have to find out what exactly is the reason for the play in the bearings.

Ideally just the two ball bearings.
    Should they be the original ones?
    Or will the matching bearings (from a reputable manufacturer) from a normal dealer do?
    According to an earlier article on the subject, the following bearings are involved:
    1) 6202 (35mmx15mm)
    2) 6301 (37mmx12mm)
    each in 2RS version.
    The price difference is enormous.

If the shaft or carrier are affected, the whole thing becomes a little more complicated.

VG
    Klaus

• Or will the appropriate bearings (from a well-known manufacturer) from a normal retailer suffice?
    According to an earlier article on the subject, the following bearings are involved:
    1) 6202 (35mmx15mm)
    2) 6301 (37mmx12mm)
    each in 2RS design.

Yes exactly

If the shaft or carrier are affected, the whole thing becomes a little more complicated.

Here I recommend in casus knaxus ]:-) a good used carrier/holder and/or a new viscous coupling with shaft from the well-known company Partworks

Porsche 928 RS MJ 1981 bugattiblau / 5,2L 360 PS GTS Fahrwerk/Getriebe/Bremsen

Klimabedienteil instandsetzen lassen und auf warmweiße LED-Beleuchtung in Originaloptik umrüsten? --> Nachricht an mich!

• How can I determine whether the viscous coupling is still working correctly?

As previously written, the clutch can be turned on the shaft with some resistance, actually relatively easily.
    I don't think I have ever seen the fan wheel not turning.

VG
    Klaus

• How can I determine whether the viscous coupling is still working correctly?

As previously written, the clutch can be turned on the shaft with some resistance, actually relatively easily.
    I don't think I have ever seen the fan wheel not turning.

VG
    Klaus

This is how it works for me: it always turns a little during operation. If I open the throttle when the engine is well warmed up, it takes a few seconds and it is still relatively quiet, then the fan suddenly really accelerates. When I turn it off cold, I always have a slight resistance at one point when I turn it by hand; when I turn it off warm, it is always a bit more difficult.

Best regards

David

928S -- MJ 84 -- 4,7 M28/21 -- G28/12 -- CH

968 -- MJ 92 -- 3,0 M44/44

924 -- MJ 85 -- 2,0 XK