Exorbitant price for rim replacement

• That's a pretty hefty price tag. Even with a Hunter, which has to pay for itself, a wheel alignment costs a maximum of 150 euros. Removing the wheel and putting it back on - 3 minutes work for 90 euros. Nobody should be surprised if people in this country feel left behind, even if they don't go to a service center.

You could have got a new wheel from a good Porsche wheel dealer for 1100-1200. The rest is enrichment.

This post has been automatically translated.

• Yes, I can see all that from the invoice. Thank you. 😊

I question the procedure, including the pricing. Because even if the other party's insurance company pays in this case, such settlements will cause all of us to pay higher premiums.

We're talking about damage here that would have cost €200 with a rim doc. As I said: the impact was perhaps even weaker than with a proper kerb-kick.

LG

Didi

Hello Didi,

the damage to the rim is in an area where the rim may NOT be repaired because the damage is more than 1mm deep. A new rim is therefore justified.

I am happy to provide a link to the legal source.

But as far as the invoicing as a whole is concerned - that's cheeky!

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)

• Let me put it this way: if the other party's insurance pays, all repair options are activated in order to generate a contribution margin.

I know this from a minor rear bump where, for example, the heat protection plate had a barely recognizable dent but was replaced at a high price.

I don't think that should be the case, especially as the insurer's costs are allocated to the type classes in this type of creative invoice optimization.

• The rear toe can be adjusted on the Taycan. I assume that the rim was replaced and a toe measurement was carried out afterwards, during which corrections had to be made so that the assistance sensors then had to be calibrated. In my opinion, this is the correct procedure for a heavy GT vehicle with plenty of power in order to relieve the injured party of any risk. Hook on!

What you don't know is whether the track was really misaligned. You have to take the garage's word for it. The evidence is difficult, because even if the accident was not the cause, the lane could have been adjusted at the factory or as a result of driving maneuvers. If the mishap had been your fault, you would probably have had the rim painted and continued driving, keeping an eye on tire wear and handling.

• the damage to the rim is in an area where the rim may NOT be repaired because the damage is more than 1 mm deep. A new rim is therefore justified.

I am happy to link to the legal source.

This is not a legal source, but an expression of opinion.

MUV17 :drive:

Mitglied des T UV · Ein Auto ist ein Gebrauchsgegenstand. Ich benutze es, um von A nach A zu fahren.

• MUV17

I'll get it right in future.

You are also welcome to correct/edit my post to that effect.

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)

• In my experience, the opposing party's insurance company (i.e. the one that has to pay) does check the bill depending on the damage situation and also refuses to pay excessive bills.

I admit that I might not have made such a big fuss if the damage was my own fault.

But I see it similarly to Richie, and yes, with all due respect to a proper solution, if the track could be misaligned, I don't want to pay for it myself two years later, along with tires that are worn on one side.

I also consider a misaligned toe in a sports car to be safety-critical.

I once had this with my Spyder (ex works...). I had always wondered why it was so extremely unstable when braking from high speed on highway curves. After the suspension setup (which was more "aggressive" than the standard setup, mind you), the car was much more controllable.

• Are there any items missing, or was the invoice amount actually diced? I don't see any items for removing/mounting and balancing tires!

Wheel replacement is mandatory on such a vehicle, this is not about a 10 year old Polo! No garage would have taken responsibility for reworking the rim and documented this on an invoice if they had been aware of the original damage. Nevertheless, I think the invoice is exaggerated at around €1k. Replacing the rims and changing the tires should be a €2.5k item, the rest is money-grubbing.

Viele Grüße aus dem Nordwesten,
    Torsten
    -----------------------------------------

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page”
    (Saint Augustine)

• Well, don't be surprised if the insurance premiums go up.

Feige has a small catscher, you change the rim and then roll the dice.

None of this is sustainable, the price is absurd. I don't think that's right.

As a colleague has already said, we would have to have an operation like this carried out after every bump, pothole etc.

We're talking about everyday things here, rim doc and that's that.