G-model no longer starts

• Hello everyone,

I am at a loss! My G model year 86 3.2 Carrera no longer starts.

What has happened?

We picked it up last week after the annual service and drove the first longer distance this year on Sunday. After a short time it smelled very strange, indefinable and when we realized that it was coming from the car and not from outside, we could neither identify the smell nor narrow down where it was coming from, I wanted to drive home as quickly as possible.

We finally broke down on the highway. Findings: battery burst, 15 cm long crack in the battery housing and the trunk completely wet.

Today I installed a new battery and wanted to check whether the alternator or the regulator might be defective and supplying more than 14.4 V, which would have destroyed the battery.

This did not happen, as the 11 no longer starts.

Checked the fuses and replaced one. I suspect the problem is in the electrics, possibly cables have been damaged by the battery fluid and the heat, but I haven't seen anything.

What else have I checked?

* Ignition spark present

* Fuel pump searches when ignition is started. There is "only" 10 V at the fuel pump, is that enough or does it have to be 12 V to deliver enough fuel.

Although I have been running the engine for 5 minutes, I have not smelled any fuel in the engine compartment.

So I'm at my wit's end and would be very grateful for any tips and advice.

Best regards

Andreas

This post has been automatically translated.

• Today I installed a new battery and wanted to check whether the alternator or the regulator might be defective and supplying more than 14.4 V, which would have destroyed the battery.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/363703…3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5K5w4DoYw

Push it in....

Nur wenn du schwarze Striche vom Kurvenausgang bis zum nächsten Bremspunkt ziehen kannst, hast du wirklich genug Leistung(Mark Donohue).

Im Alter wird man immer knackiger -- da knackt es und da knackt es...

Sechs 964er bisher mit abgerissenen Dilas --- 14(!!!) Ventilfederbrüche bei den letzten 5 Motoren! 4:3:3:1:3

Porsche 911 -- der Volkssportwagen...

"Hoffnung -- ist immer ein Mangel an Information!"

Wer restauriert -- verliert...

• Hi,

Do you think it has disassembled the alternator and that's why the 11 no longer starts?

• Hi,

Do you mean that it has disassembled the alternator and that's why the 11 no longer starts?

Yes, that's exactly what he means. This often happens with the old 911s when the alternator and especially the regulator give up the ghost. It's then a huge mess. I have a small monitor in the cigarette lighter on mine. But this has also been discussed here many times.

PS.

Get yourself another one of these. You'll be able to see if it ever shoots over 14.4V. That's when the battery starts to boil and then something like what happened to you occurs.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/202745…D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7LjJgehj

:wink: Thorsten

Porsche 911 SC / 930.10 Motor / Bj.1982 Pazifikblaumet.

• Thanks for the quick answers.

However, I don't understand why the engine won't start if the alternator is not OK. I would have expected the car to start and run anyway.

If the battery doesn't charge, the new battery will be empty at some point. Or, if the alternator supplies too much voltage, the new battery will also be fried.

So you mean, put in a new battery and then the 11 should start again?

Another thing I've noticed is that the indicators, left, right and hazard warning lights no longer work, nor does the radio. Is this not an indication that there are still problems in the electrics/wire harness?

• And one more thing.

Immediately wash the battery acid out of the front end with so much pure water. Do not use anything else. It only comes off well with lots and lots of water. If you don't wash it out immediately and really well, it will eat through everywhere.

• Clean everything properly. VERY important.

Then buy a new alternator and install it.

Then it should run again.

:wink:

Edited once, last by Thorsten 911 ().

• Hmm, that's probably too late. It happened a week ago and I cleaned it with water and car shampoo. But so far it still looks good.

• and the stench is almost gone

• I hope you're right!

Then I'll wipe it again tomorrow! Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the help