"Battery low" 991.2 / How long do your batteries last & various questions about battery handling

• Hi all

I'm going to South Tyrol tomorrow with my wife for a long weekend, so I thought I'd check this afternoon to see if everything was working (911 is only a second car). Lo and behold, battery low ...

- I've been driving the car regularly over the last two months, but only short distances of approx. 70-100km each / total 800km

- I noticed that the home lights were on for a shorter time than usual and that the horn sounded when I closed the door (although this could also be due to the open window, which I leave open in the garage).

- ignition switched on --> after a short moment message "battery voltage low, 12V plug not available" and PCM then switches off immediately

- It started up without any problems

Battery is from 2017 (same as car = 1st battery), so it is 7 years old

I quickly called the service center and will get a new battery tomorrow. Change takes about 45-60mins, after the battery change apparently all error messages have to be reset in the PCM. So it's not just a case of taking the old battery out and putting the new one in. Because of Porsche Approved, it also has to be an original battery. Battery estimate CHF 630 + labor CHF 200 ...

- What are your experiences?

- How long do your batteries last?

- How do you deal with longer downtimes? Attach to the charger? What do you mean by longer downtimes? When does it make sense to charge the battery?

Looking forward to your feedback!

This post has been automatically translated.

• Always on CTEK!
    Christian

• My GT3 is on the charger during the season if I don't manage to drive for 4 weeks. In winter, it's on the CTEK all the time.

I also think that after 7 years. A replacement will be due.

991.2 GT3 [2018] - Cayman GT4 RS [2024] - 540d xdrive G30 [2021]

• In my 911, the battery also had to be replaced after 7 years and approx. 50t km. Otherwise it lasted about 5-6 weeks. Just plug in the Ctek and that's it. Just make sure that it really charges (plug in with ignition on, there is a lot of information here in the forum)

• I replaced mine after 7 1/2 years as a preventive measure and it hasn't caused any problems.

When I read it out with the diagnostic device, it still showed 75% SOH. It would certainly have worked for a while longer.

The problems seem to start somewhere around 70 % +, the first indication is that Start-Stop no longer works (I don't use it anyway).

If you replace the battery yourself, it will cost less than € 200, depending on the make. It's not difficult, you just have to make sure that you don't overstress your intervertebral discs and facet joints when removing/installing.

I think investing the money for a new battery in good time is cheap insurance against nasty surprises.

At the PZ, in Switzerland to boot, the prices are of course really high.

Everyone has to know whether it's worth the extra charge at the PZ.

They don't install better batteries, the extra price is just "Porsche Tax".

• Simply plug in the Ctek and you're good to go. Just make sure that it really charges (plug in with ignition on, there is a lot of information here in the forum)

Ignition on/off not necessary with the 991.

Only the 992 has this issue.

991 absolutely easy with charger.

Plug it in (cigarette lighter), switch it on and you're done.

Been using charge-o-mat from P for years.

Only had one failure.

Ciao Stefan

Möge der Grip mit dir sein!

• I still have the 1st battery installed in my 2011 Boxster S. No problems, always on the ctek when the car is stationary for more than 4 weeks.

• 991.2 year 2016, C-tek charger also works without ignition on/off,

Battery still the first one, sometimes stands for 4 weeks even without charger, no problems!

• Hello

My 991.1 4S Cabrio (2013, now 46'000km) still has the first battery in it. I only drive the vehicle in summer (monthly movements in winter) and always connect the "Charge-o-mat" from Porsche via the cigarette lighter. I always switch off the automatic start-stop system.

Greetings Passion