996 Targa 3.6L Oil drip bottom left

• Hello everyone!

I have recently become the proud owner of a 996 Targas and have discovered a drop of oil in the bottom left-hand corner. The vehicle had an engine overhaul carried out by PSTG in the Netherlands around 30,000 km ago.

I have already seen a post here in the forum in which this has already been discussed and it could probably be the spark plug sockets.

However, the article refers to the 3.4-liter engine and my 3.6-liter engine probably no longer has these spark plug sockets, but they look exactly like the ones in the article.

Here is the article: 996 Carrera 2 - 2000 oil loss - oil stain under the car

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Greetings

This post has been automatically translated.

• First clean everything thoroughly (brake cleaner) and then possibly blow it in very lightly with talcum powder, run the engine at a standstill and then check again where it is coming from.

• As alfatron writes:
    Clean and see. The picture only shows the drip point, which is known to be the lowest on the vehicle. This can come from anywhere.
    As the image section is very small, I can only speculate whether the oil could be coming from the cover of the oil pump in the head.

What surprises me, however, is that at first glance the area looks wet with oil or that oil has been dripping from there for a long time and more frequently. Since you write that you have recently become the owner, what does the seller say?

• As alfatron writes:
    Clean and see. The picture only shows the drip point, which is known to be the lowest on the vehicle. This can come from anywhere.
    As the image section is very small, I can only speculate whether the oil could be coming from the cover of the oil pump in the head.

What surprises me, however, is that at first glance the area looks wet with oil or that oil has been dripping from there for a long time and more frequently. Since you write that you have recently become the owner, what does the seller say?

Yes, I'll give it a try in a few days. Thought that it might have happened more often, so that you can say "ah, that should be this and that".

The seller didn't know anything about it.

Kind regards

• On my previous 996, the drips came from the engine/clutch housing interface (crankshaft seal). This was a known problem.

Viele Grüße

• On my previous 996, the drips came from the engine/clutch housing interface (crankshaft seal). This was a known problem.

But the crankshaft seal is located a little further forward in the middle, isn't it? In my case, the oil drip is actually on the left, just above the manifold. I've also heard a few times now that it could possibly be the crankcase ventilation.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

• There is no typical leak here. Clean the thing and see where it comes out. It could really be anything.

Greetings

Nach 320'000 Spiegeleiern kann die Kantine nicht so schlecht gewesen sein!
    Harm Lagaay

PS: Ich heisse nicht Greetz k:thinking: