Porsche 924 electrical problems?

• Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my '80 924 2.0 after a long period of disuse: the electronics no longer seem to want to start. After we had installed a new fuse box, as the old one was a bit dilapidated, the little one no longer wants to start. When the old one was still fitted, it started without any problems, but also went out again after the starter was created (if you held the accelerator pedal, it ran). It now lacks the spark on the spark plugs.

Personally, I'm a bit puzzled by the fuse cables, but I couldn't find anything about their assignment with my skills online ?:-(.

I have noticed that these "mass stars" near the fuse box are quite rusty. Furthermore, there is a cable near the central electrics that I cannot identify (possibly tinkered with over time by a previous owner?).

Has anyone had a similar experience :-a? I've read a lot here, but couldn't find any posts about such a problem.

You can still see the old fuse box in the pictures.

I would be really pleased if anyone knew anything about this, as me and my grandfather are getting desperate.

LG. Leon

(Sorry for the possibly incomprehensible structure of the text)

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello Leon.

As a remote diagnosis: remove the rust from the ground stars or replace them. Tracing unknown cables, nobody can do that for you.

It's hard work on site. Does the ignition coil have a plus?

The fact that the engine started before but did not idle sounds like broken rubber hoses in the air duct. All of them! Check the rubber parts. If the engine draws secondary air, the flap does not open at idle and no fuel is injected. Also siphon off the old fuel before attempting to start again. Clean the tank and flush the fuel lines. Also between the flow divider and nozzles! The K-Jetronic does not like dirt.

Good luck

Claus

• See

2.7l 1977 starting problems after idle time

In the 911 g forum post #22

• Thank you very much for the quick reply.

There should be nothing wrong with the coil. We have an old one from Bosch and another new one from NGK, the ignition worked perfectly before. The problem arose spontaneously after we changed the fuse box. We will try tightening the secondary air and cleaning the fuel system in the next few days.

LG. Leon

• If there is corrosion on the flat plug contacts (1st picture), the sockets should also be checked. Especially where the wires are crimped into the sockets. It would not be surprising if verdigris was growing here or there and current can no longer flow sufficiently or at all.

Mercedes Benz 250CE AUTOMATIK /8 :pfeil: "STRICH(8)ER", 1970 das Pensionsauto meiner Großeltern, Lenkradautomatik, Schiebedach, elfenbeinfarbenes Lenkrad ...
    Porsche 924 2.0 Liter, Sauger, Transaxle :pfeil: "TRANSE", 1982 hat sich Muttern den Traum vom Porsche erfüllt ...
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2,5 Liter TD, V24, Pajero :pfeil: "WIXXXER" (auf Spanisch, dort wird der Wagen als Montero angeboten), 1991, Nachfolger meines Sahara-Pajero Serie 1
    Dieser Sammlung fehlt nur noch: Citroen "SM" ]:-)

• If there is nothing wrong with the coil, then you have an ignition spark!

• I would first install the old fuse box and check the result. Take the opportunity to check whether all the latching plugs are firmly seated in the back of their connector blocks and then also make proper contact with the fuse box.

Gruss Jens

Porsche 924, 2.0, Bj. 1983, Targa-Dach, indisch-rot

• A cable break as a result of the reconnection action would also be conceivable if the cores were possibly pre-blown due to corrosion.

Install the old fuse box and check it

especially if the "new" one is a used one, it may also be defective

Mercedes Benz 250CE AUTOMATIK /8 :pfeil: "STRICH(8)ER", 1970 das Pensionsauto meiner Großeltern, Lenkradautomatik, Schiebedach, elfenbeinfarbenes Lenkrad ...
    Porsche 924 2.0 Liter, Sauger, Transaxle :pfeil: "TRANSE", 1982 hat sich Muttern den Traum vom Porsche erfüllt ...
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2,5 Liter TD, V24, Pajero :pfeil: "WIXXXER" (auf Spanisch, dort wird der Wagen als Montero angeboten), 1991, Nachfolger meines Sahara-Pajero Serie 1
    Dieser Sammlung fehlt nur noch: Citroen "SM" ]:-)

• Hello Leon.

For the K-Jetronic, see #4

In the article

Checking or testing the k-Jetronic

in the 911g forum.

There you will find a Bosch booklet and troubleshooting.

The electrical fault did not occur spontaneously. You have replaced the fuse box. So check the plugs, check the fuses, check the cables. Measure the voltage. Voltage drop on the 12 volt side = voltage drop on the high voltage side. And an ignition spark on a removed spark plug jumps over more easily than when installed with compression.

Greetings

Claus

• And I've just noticed something else.

The two plugs are not connected to the insulation.

In the car, the insulation must also be crimped. The cables will fall off sooner or later due to the vibrations. The right-hand cable lug is not suitable for cars. The left one is correct. However, crimp correctly and cover with heat-shrink tubing.