Video: Replacing the plug on the Hall encoder of the Porsche 944 S2 / 968

• Hello,

I've made another short video. This time it's about the plug connection of the Hall sensor at the front right of the cylinder head. Only the S, S2 and 968 models have a Hall sensor, and due to its position directly above the manifold of cylinder 1, the plastic crumbles in rows. The video shows in detail how to replace the plug connection with an inexpensive AMP JPT 3 connection, which will then last another 20 - 30 years.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Best regards,

Juergen

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello Jürgen,

thanks again for the detailed video :thumbsup: Even though I used to do this myself, I still have to say that soldering the cables to the pins is not actually permitted in automotive engineering. The solder can pull into the wire in the direction of the insulation and create a predetermined breaking point there. Crimping with the right pliers is better. It should be possible to crimp the contacts with pliers for non-insulated crimp connectors. I may still have such contacts in my stock and am trying to verify this.

Greetings Holger

• Hello Holger,

even the Wiesmann company still soldered the wiring harnesses after crimping, as you could see in a documentary.

In the end, everyone can do it as they like, I have been soldering all such repairs for almost 50 years and have had no problems so far.

Best regards,

Jürgen

• Hello Jürgen,

another nice video :thumb:.

My I-er does not have this Hall sensor/plug. But the plug connections of the sensors are similar in design. I would have to replace them with new ones due to age. Do you know which plugs are suitable for this and where they can be obtained?

I was a bit surprised about the manual assembly of the plug tongues. Don't you have crimping pliers? That's an ingenious tool that I've been using for many years to make professional original crimps quickly and superbly, which I'm always delighted with. You should also buy one; I also solder the wire ends in special situations :wink:.

Beste Grüße - reidiekl (mit Betonung auf der ersten Silbe :-))

* Lächle und sei froh, es könnte schlimmer kommen. Ich lächelte und war froh ... und es kam schlimmer! *
    * Alles wird am Ende gut - ist es noch nicht gut, ist es noch nicht das Ende! *

• Hello Jürgen,

as I said, I have also soldered several times. Nowadays, however, crimping is the usual method. I found some contacts and had a look. The widely used die on such pliers for uninsulated crimp connectors should fit well. Of course, you have to choose the right slot depending on the cable cross-section. However, I admit that you don't have to make a science out of it :lol:

Thanks again for another helpful video :thumbsup:

Greetings Holger