911 2.7l engine overhaul cannot be turned by hand

• No, everything is now off. Only the heads are still on. Camshafts are out, timing chain housing, slide rails.

Everything off. Left chain is hanging freely, you can see it clearly.

Right chain cannot be moved freely. Sits on sprocket and then moves with it for a third of an engine revolution.

This post has been automatically translated.

• Pistons are not too high either. Here is a picture before the heads are fitted.

• Phew, I can't answer that quickly. Now there's a copper gasket from the overhaul kit.

The old ones are still in the leftover box.

Are there different ones?

• I have to admit, I didn't measure the piston gap.

The block was not planned, but there were new cylinders.

• First you wrote: can be turned 30 degrees back and forth. This cannot be a piston on the head because then the KW would have to be rotated approx. 60 degrees.

Finally you wrote 1/3 (120 degrees) engine rotation. This also cannot be a piston that has stopped because at least one piston is already past TDC at 1/3.

"Arrange" the chain on the intermediate shaft and hook the sprockets of the Nowe into the hanging chain, then the chain won't get tangled up so badly when you turn the engine.

Greetings Alexander

• Yes, it sounds very much like a tangled chain. They must both be loose in the housing in the setup described.

1982 SC 3,0 US, 930.16 Motor, indisch Rot

Schiebedach, Klima, Leder schwarz, Bilstein Fahrwerk, Dansk Sportauspuff

1969 914 Adriablau,umgbaut auf 6zylinder und 5 lochfahrwerk

• Or piston is on because wrong head/foot gasket.....

Actually it seemed to be that. Took the heads off and it turns. Measured the piston gap, 0.7 .... 1.2, according to Dempsey it should be at least 1.3mm.

Then that should be the problem. Better to notice now than too late.

Tomorrow I'll measure exactly and order the right base gaskets.

Thank you all!

Greetings Dirk / Bielefeld