Water in the A-pillar, where does it come from, where should it go?

• Moin,

There's no end to the trickles. After the battery tray, I also had cracks on the driver's side between the tray and the bulkhead at the drain pipe to the engine compartment, which I hope to have sealed today...

BUT, for the most perfidious leak so far, I have no idea where it could be, because I can only see the water in the area of the opening below the fastening holes for the screws of the hood release actuation.

I discovered this by constantly finding water behind the driver's seat. Reattaching the door film has brought other improvements but nothing for this problem. At some point I saw water leaving a trail from underneath the plastic strip on the sill and suspected the seal of the rear side window, but after removing the cover strip, water could be seen under the cables there, but it was coming from the other direction (from the front) and running backwards on the sill.

Removing the carpet together with the insulating wool glued to the inner side wall revealed that the latter was completely soaked at the bottom in the area of the opening. The inner half of the black fabric tape sewn to the carpet, which is clamped under the edge protection profile on the sheet metal seams in the front and upper entrance area, was also damp up to the dashboard.

Finter the opening in the area just above the sill, there is a horizontal plate in the A-pillar, on which water was standing. The sheet metal is bent at 90° and therefore has a parallel surface at a distance of approx. 1 - 2 mm from the inner side wall. The water stands in this gap and cannot run off. If you poke around with cable tie tape, you will find an opening towards the outer sill cavity, but the water does not flow there.

Is it even possible for water to get into the A-pillar?

If so, where should it run off?

If not, where should the leak be located?

With carpet and wet insulation:

Water behind side wall:

This post has been automatically translated.

Mercedes Benz 250CE AUTOMATIK /8 :pfeil: "STRICH(8)ER", 1970 das Pensionsauto meiner Großeltern, Lenkradautomatik, Schiebedach, elfenbeinfarbenes Lenkrad ...
    Porsche 924 2.0 Liter, Sauger, Transaxle :pfeil: "TRANSE", 1982 hat sich Muttern den Traum vom Porsche erfüllt ...
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2,5 Liter TD, V24, Pajero :pfeil: "WIXXXER" (auf Spanisch, dort wird der Wagen als Montero angeboten), 1991, Nachfolger meines Sahara-Pajero Serie 1
    Dieser Sammlung fehlt nur noch: Citroen "SM" ]:-)

• Hi Sven,

do you have a "Targa roof" (in "", the name is not correct...)?

Gruss Jens

Porsche 924, 2.0, Bj. 1983, Targa-Dach, indisch-rot

• If you have a removable roof, this could be leaking or worse, the drainage tube in the front left corner could be broken inside the A-pillar.

Another possibility would be a leaking windshield seal in the upper area, but the water should already be dripping from the top of the trim or the sun visor.

Besten Gruß

Simon

Porsche 924 2.0 (1977)

• Hello lovelies and no, my car manages to scream for diapers even without the Targa...

Mercedes Benz 250CE AUTOMATIK /8 :pfeil: "STRICH(8)ER", 1970 das Pensionsauto meiner Großeltern, Lenkradautomatik, Schiebedach, elfenbeinfarbenes Lenkrad ...
    Porsche 924 2.0 Liter, Sauger, Transaxle :pfeil: "TRANSE", 1982 hat sich Muttern den Traum vom Porsche erfüllt ...
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2,5 Liter TD, V24, Pajero :pfeil: "WIXXXER" (auf Spanisch, dort wird der Wagen als Montero angeboten), 1991, Nachfolger meines Sahara-Pajero Serie 1

• Hello Sven.

If you are looking for leaks, use a watering can with rainwater. Or tap water with washing-up liquid. Rainwater is softer and finds smaller holes. There is also a case here in the forum, in the 944 area, where water ran from the boot

to the front.

Good luck

• Yesterday the car was in the garage with a 1.5% uphill gradient, otherwise it is outside with a slightly steeper uphill gradient, so that small puddles form around the battery and below the wiper mechanism, because the respective drain hole is higher, and it is also slightly inclined to the left. After sealing the sump area behind the bulkhead, I had to put it out again, but this time lower at the front. When I had the brilliant idea today of using a syringe to suck out the water to prevent frost damage, the syringe only sucked in air. The water miraculously disappeared overnight.

924 on the needle:

Was it the change in position that caused the water to run off?

Watering can with rainwater. Or tap water with washing-up liquid

Good point about the creeping ability of water! But the dilemma is that when it rains for a day, the beads behind the driver's seat fill up first (the amount "fills" about 6 Wettex rags)... This means that a few watering cans will probably be necessary to achieve the effect. And where to start? Water tray under the wiper mechanism? Can it even come from there and creep into the A-pillar? Can it just be condensation, because there were/are enough other leaks? The film on the passenger side door will be replaced soon, as water regularly stands on the inside and looks like this when it freezes:

The film already looks quite worn, what do you think of vapor barrier tape as a replacement (but only where there are openings)?

• The job with the watering can is a job for 2.

You have to be right inside with a flashlight looking for the water.

• The job with the watering can is a job for 2.

You have to be right in the interior with a flashlight looking for the water.

So far so good, that can be set up and works perfectly for looking in the footwell for the origins of the rivulets on the bulkhead and their counterpart on the top of the battery tray. But the flashlight and I don't fit together in the A-pillar, which doesn't have an upper side that I can recognize. Are there any drawings of what it looks like there?

• Hello,

Topic door foil:

https://www.motor-talk.de/blog…-tuerfolien-t4783149.html

I would have a look at the entire area behind the bulkhead.

My 924 has been standing around for a while and there have also been 1.2 water ingresses.

I've put my money where my mouth is.

I removed all the old sealant behind the bulkhead in the battery and wiper linkage area and resealed it.

Now there's peace and quiet...

The old carbon sealant just gets hard and brittle.

Next to the dome of the heater was a 1mm wide crack, which flooded the entire BF footwell.

With the water ingress at the A-pillar, I would assume that the sealant under the hood hinges is porous.

Finanziell gesehen war das ganze ein Desaster.
    Sie ahnen nicht,wie recht sie damit haben.

• But the flashlight and I don't fit together in the A-pillar, which doesn't have an upper side that I can recognize

Get yourself a €30 endoscope that you can plug directly into your cell phone. I've had one since just before Christmas and have already pushed it into various holes and cracks in the Porsche, it works great.

Have you ever checked this marked area, past the wheel behind the mudguard?

Besten Gruß

Simon

Porsche 924 2.0 (1977)