911 Comparison Ferrari/ Lamborghini/

• Hello Alex,
    the way your sketch looks, the critical area should be "at the top" (at the end of the driveway).
    I have a 19% gradient, but a very "soft/round" transition at the top and bottom.
    Similar to what you have at the bottom of the driveway.
    Even with the very deep 944, I had no problems there.
    In your sketch, however, it looks at the top as if the "straight driveway" merges very briefly into the horizontal ceiling.

As the wheelbase (944 = 2400mm, 296 = 2600mm, 488 = 2650mm) is considerably longer, it could be very tight at the top.

I would do a practical test before signing a purchase contract (which in the case of the two "F's" will certainly never be possible in my case).

Greetings Stefan

This post has been automatically translated.

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

944/1 Targa '84 2,5l 163PS - Platinmetallic (bis 03/2017)

• the way your sketch looks, the critical area should be "at the top" (at the end of the driveway).

That's how I see it too.

ATTENTION: Many architects have ZERO plan of garages - they have obviously never sat in a car.

What you need are not only the slope angles, but also the ramp angles (especially at the top of the ramp).
    The F dealer should be able to give you this without any problems (it's not Stuttgart, where you first have to spend 4 weeks driving around).

I won't say anything about the lift - otherwise we'll have another lift discussion here.

Yours sincerely, Tom

• Perhaps a stupid but supplementary question. Despite my advanced math course ;) Do you also see problems with a current 992 Targa or an old F Targa from 1972?

Tesla Model S

BMW i3s

2 VW Käfer Cabrio kollibrigrün

VW Käfer S apfelgrün

911 2.2. S Targa blutorange

• Hello Alex, you have a PN.

alte Porsches:
    911S Ex US '76 mit Umbau auf 3,2l 207PS (Motor 930/21 mit Getriebe 915/68) - Silbermetallic, Schiebedach

911SC Targa Ex US '81 3,0l 179PS (Motor 930/16 mit Getriebe 915/63) - Weinrotmetallic

• So 488 with standard height is quite uncritical, ratios much more favorable than with 991/992 GT3 or 718 Spyder, since front spoiler end of the 488 relatively high. I had my 488 turned down by 15 mm, then conditions are similar to the cars mentioned above and a lift is recommended.

You are guaranteed to get by without a lift on the 488.

• I was just about to write that too. The front lip of the 488 is comparatively high. Min. 17...18 cm if I remember correctly. Unless it is lowered.

In such cases, I take the dimensions of the car and compare the existing angles and dimensions (these are all geometric triangles) of the ramp and slope of the driveway in question with the height/axle spacing of the vehicle. This can also be recorded.

As both 296 and 488 are already available, you can of course also try this out on the living object, provided the dealer is willing to cooperate.

PS: Looking at your sketch, I would say that a 488 should be easy to drive without a lift.

• Hello,
    I would see the problem less with the front lip when driving up (the front overhang is also very important there), but rather with the contact between the vehicle floor and the edge at the top, because there is no soft curve there, but a straight (driveway) merges into a straight (concrete ceiling) - this is an almost sharp transition.

Edit: You could simulate it using a scale drawing and details of the ground clearance - but you can only be 100% sure if you also take into account the maximum load (two people, full tank and small luggage).

Greetings Stefan

alte Porsches:

• From practical experience on the road, I can say that the F 458, 488, F8, 296 are completely problem-free compared to the Porsche 997, 991, 992, 981, 982 Spyder and also work well without a lift, e.g. over all the FR bumpers. Anyone who has turned their P down then has a real problem, possibly several times per town.

F has more of a problem - better not park backwards in front of a high kerb, otherwise the rear diffuser will be frayed - so F is more likely to be in the back.

@ Alex - it's best to try it out, the dealer will be happy to help.

Greetings Wolfgang :wink:

Mitglied des T UV

Edited 4 times, last by PoCay ().

• Hello,
    I would see the problem less with the front lip when driving up (the front overhang is also very important there), but rather with the contact between the vehicle floor and the edge at the top, because there is no soft curve there, but a straight (driveway) merges into a straight (concrete ceiling) - this is an almost sharp transition.

Edit: You could simulate it using a scale drawing and details of the ground clearance - but you can only be 100% sure if you also take into account the maximum load (two people, full tank and small luggage).

Greetings Stefan

That is absolutely correct. The situation in the middle of the vehicle must also be considered when it drives over the bend in the slope at the top. The vehicle is lowest there. However, the distance from the center between the axles to the axles is greater. These are actually always tangent calculations. But you can also simply draw it on squared paper...

Example front: Height lip/distance lip to front axle assumed (488) 18cm/100cm corresponds to 18%

18% ramp gradient is possible at the front.

• ...e.g. over all the FR bumpers. Anyone who has turned their P down then has a real problem, possibly several times per town.

...at Porsche we've already had defective or torn off spoiler lips, crushed trunk floors, cross-sectionally deformed manifolds, torn off AGA mounts, holes in the oil pan :drive: :str: :augenreib: k:three: