Topic low budget stainless steel fan manifold for 996 C2

• I got today the stainless steel fan manifolds (caution, in the range 170-220 euros there are different versions!). Background is that my engine is leaking at the manifold flange and the manifolds anyway no longer look so confidence-inspiring ... that's all already pretty gammelig.

Unpacked... WOW. The workmanship is really okay! The material makes no paper-thin impression. Very solid I would say.

I'm thinking now, as I take the again to my buddy and the once milled over, which are also really straight. At first glance, but they look really okay. I doubt, however, that are top tight with the original seal. For sure is for sure.

Does at the point (Between head / gasket / manifold) a thin layer of exhaust assembly paste sense?

Gasket I do not take this cheap punched out, which are included but I ordered 2 original Elring.

I'm also converting the head to studs. That's better than bolts if in doubt, since you can blow the nut instead of drilling the thread out of the head. I'll see what studs it will be.... Inconel...stainless steel...opinions really differ.

Next week times fingers crossed that all screws go out. From the forum, different opinions emerge, as one approaches the best...one says impact wrench at low speed to shake the thread loose and in no case a big ratchet, the next says ring wrench, so you can tilt as little as possible and have a lot of feeling in the whole number. Engine warm or cold? Rust solvent I spray already times on it...will smoke nen bit when driving...

Here again a few pictures of the seams and the general processing.

This post has been automatically translated.

• LOL I'm hau mich weg :thumbsup: Really cool that you come to me before. I also wanted to open a thread, but nice that I do not have to do that now.

So my thought was to heat the things times for an hour, or more to 600 degrees and then to let planen.

Do not fit the original gaskets with the manifold?

• The thing with the heat is ne good idea... since I would have to look who can and where that goes...

Counter consideration was: if the warm is the differently crooked as when the cold is. Would not it then mean that he cooled down in rest position is somewhat leaky, I mount him, then drive warm and he warm then leaks? Or am I thinking too far ...?

Small tip:

I ordered my manifold from STW. Was he cheapest and you get the one I photographed... there I just like the pipe routing the best.

• Do you have a link to the source?

Just looking for a stainless steel exhaust system with ABE or registrable for my 997.2S

• You write that it looks straight, so why not just mount it? If it leaks or warps, you'll notice it quickly, but there's no reason to doubt the tightness (except the price, and that's just a perceived argument).

Too bad there are not more components for the exhaust system in the offer :)

• You write that it looks straight, so why not just mount it? If it leaks or warps, you'll notice it quickly, but there's no reason to doubt the tightness (except the price, and that's just a perceived argument).

Too bad there are not more components for the exhaust system in the offer :)

Maybe I'm really again far too many thoughts...

• So... I checked the flanges yesterday. One is really good. There I have about 1/10 distortion. The second has a little more in one place. One of the welders has applied a little bit more. There I will rework again.

What worries me currently is this Threat:

I also have the manifold. From exactly the supplier. Yesterday I went down again and noticed that the flange connection is really too big.

After closer research in various engine groups and after consultation with some guys who know the subject first all-clear: this is not wild. The turbulences behind the flange are even wanted by some (it is also written in the report in the "PFF-Recht-Forum").

Now I am first of all to find out which seal makes the most sense.

The original gasket that comes with the manifold looks untrustworthy. Punched cheap part. Now I ordered a gasket for the 996 3.4...but it won't be pressed properly by the manifold because just the outlets on the head are too small and the inlets on the manifold are too big.

Now I have a question: does the 3.4 head have enough meat around the outlets to adequately compress and seal the manifold gasket from the 997/1 or 996 3.6? Are 3.4 and 3.6 head basically identical, only with the difference that the outlets were machined larger?

Hmmmmmmm... I can measure the head unfortunately only when I have everything apart.