TOYO R888R unusable and dangerous on the track

• Looking for an alternative to the Michelin Cup2, since they were not available in a timely manner, I picked up a set of Toyo R888R in 235/40-18 and 295/30-18. Last week I was in Mugello and tested the Toyos. The first impression was quite ok, the handling was still a bit spongy, but that's normal with new tires for now.

The tires I then hot set to 2.1bar front and rear hot and drove so still somewhat cautiously, exploring the limit. After a modest 150km, it then came on the home stretch to a violent imbalance, but this can also be caused by the pickup inside the rims. I then briefly heard the sound of whipping cords in the wheel well on a corner, a dramatic warning signal. I then drove a run-out lap and took a look at the tires.

It literally disintegrated the tire, at least he kept the pressure.

From my point of view an absolutely unusable tire for an Elfer and Track! The tire has already lost massive tread depth on the few kilometers, despite restrained driving.

I then drove on with my second set of wheels with the Cup2 the rest of the day WITHOUT any problems. In addition, the Cup2 have already an dei 1000km track behind them and still comply with the STVO. The car and my driving style I can therefore largely exclude.

I am curious what Toyo has to say about it.

Greetz

This post has been automatically translated.

Nach 320'000 Spiegeleiern kann die Kantine nicht so schlecht gewesen sein!
    Harm Lagaay

PS: Ich heisse nicht Greetz k:thinking:

• This looks bad. Neg. Camber (?) seems clearly too much of a good thing for the Toyo.

• I drive rear -2.8 ° camber, in itself a UHP and semislick suitable value. With a load index of 98 or 750kg, so 1500kg for the axle, the reduction at this camber should still be enough reserves to the 880kg effective load there.

But it will probably come down to the camber overloading the Toyos. However, that disqualifies these tires from being show and shine semislicks.

Greetz

Harm Lagaay

• Holy Shit... the pellet looks like you've driven a dragster with it... good thing it didn't blow up in your face while driving. Thanks for sharing, a buddy drives it on an M3 E92 and it's also snappy, it seems to work reasonably well there. Toyo I would then cross off the list.

• I think they are more for light cars with different weight distribution.

On rennlist had a similar experience with it in the 911.

I drove the predecessor years ago on the Opel Speedster. There were the ok, but loud as tractor tires.

I would rather have tried the Nankang AR-1.

• Many of the semis offered usually work quite well with light axles. However, if such a semi-slick is offered with a load index of 98, this leads to the assumption that this then also copes with a heavier axle.

My GT3 has a static axle load of 880kg at the rear, so a tire with 750kg, so 1500kg the axle should be able to handle it easily, even if there is some negative camber, which tends to happen with track cars.

I for my part have now enough of the Blender tires. So far the Cup, the Cup2, the Trofeo and the Trofeo R have worked without problems on the GT3.

Greetz

Harm Lagaay

• I would have rather tried the Nankang AR-1.

Do you have experience? I had in the U.S. with the Federal RSRR quite good experience on the 993. Although very loud but for the money quite good grip and relatively durable compared to the RE71R, which were more than twice as expensive.

• I also drove Federal on the Speedster back then.

They are good. But there is nothing in 295/30R18 with matching Speed Index from them.

• I also drove Federal on the Speedster back then.

They are good. But there is nothing in 295/30R18 with matching Speed Index from them.

I had them on it once on my 996 and are evil melted there and on the road without this was closed off or the like, so still humanely on the road.

The also do not fit from the speed index I mean. In addition, the again rather what for light cars, rather nen Caterham or something.

Believe the already had to go down after 2000km because they were almost ready ...

• I get directly a bit thoughtful when I read through the reports of the accident on the NS, where apparently a tire blowout led to the departure of the Porsche and the death of two people. I was traveling over 260km/h with the tire pictured above!!! I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if the tire had completely failed at that speed, i.e. burst or dropped the tread....

It seems that there are hardly any tire manufacturers left who manage to produce a stable rear tire for a 911. First I had the almost identical experience several times with Yokohama slicks the Advan A005, because this manufacturer has changed the tire design a few years ago and does not manage to put appropriate notes on the tire. Even when asked at the factory in Japan, Yokohama was unable to give me a load index or anything similar. Link to the thread

I for my part stop the tire experiments! I only use Michelin Cup2 now, it has proven to be an extremely good track tire on my 996 GT3.

My set of Toyo R888R is now on its way to Toyo for analysis. I don't really expect an answer from them. In the meantime I had some contacts with people from the tire industry with track experience, some of them mentioned the tearing out of big pieces of the tread on the Toyo R888R when I talked about problems with these tires on an 911.

This issue is not about a small thing, no, it can go to the living. The various tire manufacturers don't seem to be aware of this, otherwise they wouldn't throw such useless tires on the market and wouldn't inform their dealers accordingly. A 911 is a very fast vehicle, which is also driven on the racetracks of this world.

What all 911s have in common is a relatively high axle load on the drive axle, which also delivers corresponding power. So a tire, a semi-slick, which is advertised on the web as a track tire, has an extremely high load index and should be able to cope with a little more than half the load and some negative camber.

Greetz

Harm Lagaay