Replacing the injectors on the 987.2 FL X51 engine ?

• The PZ has never heard of damage to DFI engines....

This post has been automatically translated.

Boxster S 2008
    Carrera GT3 2006

• What you write is unfortunately just wrong.

The Wendland tuning linked refers to the 997.1 intake manifold injected Carrera S, which had 381hp with the X51 package instead of the stock 355hp.

Unfortunately, this has nothing at all to do with the direct injection engine (which I also know as the "9A1" engine).

X51 is simply a special equipment code that has referred to the factory performance upgrade for decades. Was there also with 993 & Co already.

-

To your question: In my opinion it is not worthwhile to check or change the nozzles prophylactically, if you are not already revising the engine.

Taking apart the high-pressure fuel system is supposed to be quite time-consuming.

Ultimate certainly won't hurt.

• The service center will hold back in case of doubt, because they certainly don't want to start a new goodwill discussion like with the predecessor engine.

It is nothing new that direct injection engines (DFI) tend to ignite prematurely, especially in high-compression, but small displacement engines with a lot of short-distance use. This can then lead to deposits that exacerbate the problem.

Having first used DFI on the naturally aspirated Cayman, Boxster, 997 etc 6 boxers, which are now starting to get 10 - 15 years old, I would have been interested to know if there are any examples here on the forum of higher mileage engines where the problem described occurs. Basically, the engine is certainly more durable, but there are also 997.2s on Mobile with mileage around 150 Tkm, which have already had complete engine revisions. Why?

If no, that's also good, I have no pressure to act.

• The service center will hold back in case of doubt, because they certainly don't want to start a new goodwill discussion like with the predecessor engine.

It is nothing new that direct injection engines (DFI) tend to ignite prematurely, especially in high-compression, but small displacement engines with a lot of short-distance use. This can then lead to deposits that exacerbate the problem.

Having first used DFI on the naturally aspirated Cayman, Boxster, 997 etc 6 boxers, which are now starting to get 10 - 15 years old, I would have been interested to know if there are any examples here on the forum of higher mileage engines where the problem described occurs. Basically, the engine is certainly more durable, but there are also 997.2s on Mobile with mileage around 150 Tkm, which have already had complete engine revisions. Why?

If not, that's fine, I have no pressure to act.

Engines with small displacement are nowadays all turbocharged.

The compression of the Porsche Sauger is rather moderate.

The problem is rather when the nozzle is worn and the spray pattern is poor, so that unburned fuel washes the oil film from the liner.

Boxster S 2008
    Carrera GT3 2006

• To get away from the discussion and times a few experiences here.

Model year 2009. current mileage 238,000km and so far no problems with the injectors.

• Allegedly, some of the DFI engines had the problems you describe - especially from the first MY (from MY2010 changed injectors were installed).

To keep the risk of coking of the injectors low, I drive my FL S exclusively with Ultimate 102 (with the Keropur contained therein also the tailpipes remain clean) and make after each oil change an analysis of the engine oil to keep an eye on the fuel intake because if this is increased, this could (apart from much cold starts / short distance) indicate incontinent injectors.

Purely as a precaution, I would not make a replacement, even if there was/are overhauled injection nozzles via Porsche m.W. at a price of about 180€/piece. Since the removal / installation of the DFI is not quite trivial (I would do it only with someone who does it regularly).