• I have now been told that there are now many manufacturers (e.g. Jaguar) who send vehicles to Carglass to have the windshield replaced - but usually only to have the sensors adjusted - because they have the necessary (and most modern) equipment for the adjustment work. :eek:

Due to the investment costs, it would often not be the case that all locations have the necessary technology for this.... :/

Have you heard anything about this?

JO

This post has been automatically translated.

• 1cm (outside the field of vision?) sounds feasible - it costs nothing to ask Carglass. If they can't repair it on an outpatient basis, you can always go to a service center

Yes, that's right.

I once had a windshield repaired at Carglass and wasn't too happy with the result, as the "stain" from the impact was still visible. I'm just afraid that if it's like that again now and I don't like it, the TK won't cover the repair first and then the cost of replacing it because I don't like it... :/

On the other hand, a lot can go wrong with a replacement....

A friend of mine had the windshield on her Macan replaced (at the service center)..... When it rained, she then had a built-in waterfall over the A-pillar.... :eek: She said it was not an optional extra purchased at a later date.... :rf:

JO

• I have now been told that there are now many manufacturers (e.g. Jaguar) who send vehicles to Carglass to have the windshield replaced - but usually only to have the sensors adjusted - because they have the necessary (and most modern) equipment for the adjustment work. :eek:

Due to the investment costs, it would often not be the case that all locations have the necessary technology for this.... :/

Have you heard anything about this?

JO

No, I hadn't heard of it. It was definitely different eight years ago, when I was already driving a vehicle that could automatically change lanes on the highway and had all the assistance systems on board. After replacing the windshield, the Carglass employee had to drive to Mercedes and have the systems adjusted there. That was embarrassing for them too.

So I immediately believed that things were different now. Because Carglass has all User Chooser fleet customers, i.e. cars with the latest technology that cover a lot of kilometers. The calibration technology should work in a similar way for all of them, as you need a universal device and otherwise only individual vehicle manufacturer settings. Nevertheless, I had a quick look, it's true, they have the technology: https://www.carglass.de/autogl…CT9QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• My windshield cost 3,500 euros at the service center... I was quite astonished.

• The windshield always took over the partial casco, didn't it? with SB itself understandable

• Can't say anything bad about Carglass.

1x windshield replacement incl. calibration of all sensors on the Skoda Superb

1x repair on the better half's Kia C'eed.

Replacement of the windshield against insurance deductible,

Repair for free.

Pascal

• The windshield was always covered by the partial casco, wasn't it? with SB itself understandable

Yes, of course. But the invoice from the service center to the insurance company was for this amount...

• Yesterday I had a stone chip on the far left edge of the Taycan with a star-shaped crack, Carglass says it's not possible to repair it directly on the edge of the windshield, so I'm going to the service center to have it replaced.

As for my statistics, in 38 years I've only had one small stone chip that could be repaired and now in 2024 I've had 2 stone chips within a short period of time, both with windshield replacement. I didn't even hear anything on the Taycan, only saw it in the garage. Is the acoustic glazing more susceptible as it consists of two thinner layers? In the past, I often heard a relatively loud crash, but rarely did anything serious happen. That's why I see the modern panes as more susceptible and these two cases of damage not as a statistical coincidence.

• Last stone chip and windshield replacement 14 years ago, now twice within 4 weeks. No acoustic glazing though, you could clearly hear the impacts. Carglass both times, I'm curious to see if it lasts. I'll be watching to see if the cracks spread again.

• Hi everyone,

Last Saturday (I had looked online for an appointment on Friday) I had my stone chip repaired at CarGlass in Frankfurt (Rebstock). It went really well and at very short notice. Apart from a very small white dot, there is nothing left to see. :thumb:

They also left no doubt that the windshield could be replaced on site if necessary (if the repair doesn't work).

Just for your information... :headbange

JO