What all was done on or for the Shark today?

• Dear V8ers,

Today I tightened the engine oil pan bolts. The seal was replaced 2 years ago by a supposed transaxle expert workshop. Unfortunately, the screws were probably not tightened properly. I also replaced the screw cap of the automatic transmission oil reservoir. The cap was only 3 years old and an original Porsche part, but it didn't fit properly and I had drips of ATF oil when the reservoir was full at idle.

If nothing happens until November, no further work is planned. Then the intake manifold will be removed and replaced with a freshly powdered one. Plus the usual suspects around the bridge.

Kind regards,

Bernd:])

This post has been automatically translated.

Allzeit gute Fahrt wünscht

Bernd

993 Cabrio BJ 03.94, Schalter in schwarz-schwarz-schwarz

928 GTS BJ 10.92, Automat in amazonasgrün-klassikgrau

• Which oil pan gasket is installed?

I have a tip for you for the ATF cap. It's been tight for me for years. Just have to check at home.

Un saludo

Schocki :khat:

1987 944 Turbo, R.I.P. :pop:
    1991 944 S2, Kobaltblau, verkauft :kbye:
    1972 911 T Targa, Geminiblau aka "Shelley" k:ok:
    1992 928 GTS, Amazonasgrün aka "Das Phantom" :kyippie:

It's not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop k:secret: .

• Hello Schoki

I'm also interested in your tip for the cap. I also replaced mine when I changed the gearbox oil. Now it's dripping again

Greetings Christoph

928s3 Automatik BJ86

Tannengrün sieht anders aus :]) Moosgrün auch😉

• Schocki: That's interesting about the cap and others probably have the same problem with lack of tightness. Any loss of oil or other fluids from the car is unacceptable.

The gasket of the engine oil pan is an original one from Reinz, so no silicone gasket.

Greetings to Madrid, Bernd:])

Bernd

• The original oil pan gasket is made of cork and is only permanently sealed if it is installed with sealant. In the USA, they swear by Hondabond. This is not acceptable to me, as the seal is installed without sealant.

For whatever reason, the silicone oil pan gasket is only available directly from the manufacturer in Tennessee (realgaskets.com). They also made the first gasket for me back then. Mine has now been installed for 19 years and is still tight.

The silicone oil pan gasket has gotten a bad reputation because people have not installed it properly (only 3-5 NM), sometimes less is more. Or because you can "only" really fit them with a stud bolt set. All BS.

Original bolts, nicely degreased and dry. Clean threaded holes, dry contact surfaces and a little Loctite, then it's a piece of cake!

I have fitted many of the seals and ride them myself, no problem.

Tip on the ATF cover follows...

Un saludo

• I'm currently waiting for my original oil pan gasket to become incontinent and have the silicone version in the office as a backup.

In my opinion, it is important to fit the oil pan screws with lock washers and retighten them when the opportunity arises:old:

In my case, several screws had already come loose8|*8)

LG Klaus

Die reinste Form des Wahnsinns ist es, alles beim Alten zu lassen
    und gleichzeitig zu hoffen, dass sich etwas ändert. (A. Einstein)

#Are You listening?# => ]:-)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ]:-)

• Remove the original seal from the red cover and replace it with an R-27 O-ring (37.5 x 3.55 mm).

Screw on the cover hand-tight and then add another 1/8 turn with a 17 mm ring wrench. That should be enough. Once this has worked and is tight, do not touch the cap again. Top up the ATF only through the quick-fill connection on the supply line to the radiator.

Un saludo

• Quick-fill connection port

Is this also available on the 3-speed version? I tried to find out from the parts catalogs, but couldn't figure it out.

And, if there isn't one, could you simply use a new O-ring each time you use the "normal" filler cap and proceed as described?

TIA,
    Sándor

Edited once, last by sry (June 9, 2024 at 10:57 AM).

• Schocki: Where exactly can I find the quick-fill connection for transmission ATF? Foro? I was not aware of it!

Michael Gracias, Bernd:wink:

Bernd

• This post has been automatically translated.

Un saludo