Smoke generator on the 3.2

• Good evening all,

has anyone here ever tried a smoke generator on his 11 to find false air sources?

Thanks, greetings, Werner

This post has been automatically translated.

• Hello Werner,

yes. I do. But not on the Carrera, but on the Super Carrera.... :grin_weg:

Highly recommended. With this you will find leaks that you definitely won't find with brake cleaner or soapy water/leak detection spray.

I have this one. Price / performance good. Qualitatively also quite good (metal housing, air pump integrated). Lots of accessories on connectors and plugs. But such small details like 230V cold appliance plug to 12V battery terminals do not go at all. Or that the rear connector for the hose gets very hot and the hose becomes threateningly soft and kinks ... Typical made in China. They just do not give a shit about standards. Is nothing new. v:~(

Simple lamp oil is sufficient as fluid. Smokes like hell.

Greetings Thomas

81er ex-US 911 SC Coupé, platinmet., eSSD, K-Leder sw., Turboheckflügel & -frontspoiler, NSW, Maxilite 7/8J, Bilstein Fw("SpoStra" - noch...), 915/61, 930/16 o.Kat, WebCam 20/21 NW, hydr.KS, Dansk 92.502SD, 123 Ignition, orig. Porsche SWV, Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit, Momo Prototipo m.Nabenerhöhung

„Nicht das Auto verdirbt den Charakter, aber wer keinen Charakter hat, sollte nicht Auto fahren.“

Ferdinand Porsche

• It would be interesting to know which standard confirms the CE certificate. I have done evaluations myself. If you buy products made in China, they just confirm everything. CE means only that you have built according to any standard.

cherryrotes Spielzeug 3,2 Liter, Kat, Baujahr 1987, Landkreis Mühldorf, Vorname Gerhard

Div. andere Autos in der Familie und ein Honda Rasenmäher

Edited once, last by elfloh ().

• Hi Thomas,

I have the same lump as well. Tested it on a 500 V8 from MB, which definitely has a false air problem. Didn't find anything though.

I wanted to play around with it a bit to get some experience with it.

Where did you have it plugged in? I'm thinking about turning myself a plug, which I would then insert into the rubber bend instead of the air flow meter.

The quality of the part is probably questionable, that with the plug/cable is so medium. On the other hand, the device from Bosch costs I think over 3000€. Is perhaps a bit exaggerated.

Greeting Werner

• On the SC, there are enough different places where you can introduce the smoke. I'm not sure about the Carrera, I don't know enough about it.

Make sure that you check individual sections and seal them completely. A diagram of the vacuum routes is always helpful. May be but Carrera some less than on the SC ...

Bosch, Gutmann and others with more than 1000€ are for hobby screwdriversand occasional use completely off.

Greetings Thomas

81er ex-US 911 SC Coupé, platinmet., eSSD, K-Leder sw., Turboheckflügel & -frontspoiler, NSW, Maxilite 7/8J, Bilstein Fw("SpoStra" - noch...), 915/61, 930/16 o.Kat, WebCam 20/21 NW, hydr.KS, Dansk 92.502SD, 123 Ignition, orig. Porsche SWV, Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit, Momo Prototipo m.Nabenerhöhung

„Nicht das Auto verdirbt den Charakter, aber wer keinen Charakter hat, sollte nicht Auto fahren.“

Ferdinand Porsche

• Hello all,

supposedly this also works with an e-cigarette + windshield washer pump:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some even tinker with a soldering iron:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In any case, such an adapter seems very useful to me:

https://amzn.to/3NnKHO3 [advertisement]

MlG Horst

• supposedly also works with an e-cigarette + windshield washer pump:

Not really. Ok, I haven't tried it myself, but there are videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/result…acuum+leaks+car+cigarette

That being said, I've never smoked and I'm not going to, I can't imagine you'd get the same result with it.

This is because the smoke generator has a small electric pump built into it, which uses it to create overpressure, albeit small, but definitely necessary, enough to carry the smoke anywhere in the system to find the leaks (or even blockages like my SC). The amount of smoke and the slight overpressure does not get a smoker m.M...at least not in the long run....

Greeting, Thomas

Ferdinand Porsche