Back to the roots or with roof tent to Finland

• Since some have asked for a thread on the subject, I would like to write down here little by little our upcoming trip to Finland and our experience, etc. something.

The start is on 06.08. Until then I will write a bit about the equipment, first tests, etc..

Should I be here in the wrong area, move the whole thing. :thumbsup:

Motto: There's no such thing as can't be done, or what doesn't fit will be made to fit.

In 2020, we fulfilled a dream with the Cayman 987.1 S, which we could never have imagined until then.

In 2021, after a fun evening with a drink or two, the idea came up to drive the Cayman to its birthplace...

Uusikaupunki in Finland.

We started planning the trip shortly after. The trip should also show us something of the nature of Finland and therefore of course a tent has to come along. However, we will be mainly in the south of Finland, because we do not want to sit in the car every day.

At first the idea was to take a roof box with us to get more storage space.

Then when we came across the first pictures of a 996 with a roof tent, it was over.

From that moment on the plan was clear. A roof tent is needed.

So we researched the last months, looked at various roof tents and dealt with the matter (roof load, size, etc.) a lot. Since Porsche itself was not very helpful / informative with inquiries, we had to test ourselves what goes.

The dynamic roof load is 60kg. The roof rack (here we could buy an original, used) already weighs 5kg. So we still have 55kg for the tent. This limits the choice enormously and there are really serious differences in terms of quality, etc.. Here you just have to be clear what you want exactly.

We have found after a long search. At Eifelkind Adventure, in the immediate vicinity of us, we have found our tent. The weight fits, the tent is well thought out and the contact with the owner was perfect from the beginning.

Two weeks ago we tried the test tent (which is not possible everywhere) and could test it the first night. The next day everything was clear and we ordered the tent.

Now we have to wait for the delivery and buy compact equipment to use the space in the car maximally but efficiently.

In 2.5 weeks it goes then a weekend to Holland for the first test. Until then I will write you a bit about the equipment etc..

And always remember: To do is like to want only crasser :])

Until then DasIch81 or #rooftoptent_cayman

This post has been automatically translated.

2024 Irland mit Cayman und Dachzelt

Finnland mit dem Dachzelt

#rooftoptent_cayman

• Hi,

I'm a camper myself and pull the living can with a 5-series Touring. And now and then we actually see campers with the roof tents - which are also quite expensive.

I'm curious about your experience report. Even if I am out of the tent age, I find it interesting and wish you a nice vacation. Especially the right weather.

• Doing is like wanting only more blatant :])

:t:

Gruß :khat:
    Bernhard

914 2.0 (1982 - 1983)
    964 C4 (1994 - 1995)
    Cayman R (11/2012 - 11/2013)
    Cayman GTS - 981 (09/2014 - 04/2016)

Cayman GTS - 718 (03/2019 - 01/2020)

• Super action am curious about your experience! I had also looked half-heartedly for a roof tent for the 911er it but then discarded again, because the effort is greater than thought...

Have fun you :headbange

Daily Driver: BMW X7 4.0xD

Wochenende: 991.2 4 GTS und BMW S1000R

• I'm a camper myself and pull the living can with ner 5 Touring. And now and then we actually see campers with the roof tents - which are also quite expensive.

But a camper with a suitable towing vehicle is a lot more expensive :]). It always depends a bit on what you want. A tent incl. roof box would have been cheaper for us, that's probably true.

Especially the right weather.

The weather is always such a thing. We were in Scotland 8 days hiking and are 3 really wet. You can not always choose. On the other hand, the landscape would not be so beautiful without the rain... :thumbsup: We let ourselves be surprised. If it gets too wet, there are still hotels that you could book spontaneously.

Super action am curious about your experience! I had also looked half-heartedly for a roof tent for the 911er it but then discarded again, because the effort is greater than thought....

Have fun you :headbange

The effort is actually within limits, once you have dealt a bit more with the whole thing is all relatively feasible.

#rooftoptent_cayman

• About 3-4 weeks after my official request to Porsche regarding the roof load and whether they have empirical values, this ad / offer came out. Therefore, it was clear to me why they did not want to give any information or anything else. Of course it would be stupid if interested people just do it themselves instead of spending a lot of money for a weekend.

Since the WE would cost 2500 euros per person, with my own tent I get away cheaper and can use it more often :headbange :])

#rooftoptent_cayman

• I will also read here with interest ;)

Greetings

Ingo

• The necessary luggage for camping...

Here good planning is important, because the space is somewhat limited. Several days self-sufficient we do not want, but it should be everything for a spontaneous overnight stay there.

For this reason, I have searched for the luggage bulkhead and have luckily found.

The two holders, which had to be additionally installed, were just as expensive as the bulkhead itself, but that was almost clear.

With the bulkhead we now have the possibility to store the table, the sleeping bags and some small stuff on the engine.

The two compact chairs fit well in the back of the trunk and a flat suitcase still fits over it.

In the next few days, we'll take it for a test pack. But I'm always amazed what all goes into the little one purely.

#rooftoptent_cayman

• This weekend was the time. Together with friends we went to Katwijk NL to test. There we have set up our camp on a beautiful campsite 5 minutes from the beach and tested the equipment. For Finland must still be something tweaked, but on the whole, everything has already worked well and in the Cayman is more space than some think.

#rooftoptent_cayman