To the race track friends: Which laptimer do you use?

• Is the Porsche laptimer in the Sport Chrono any good, or is it better to get an external laptimer?

Does anyone have experience with the new Performance Box Touch from Racelogic?

What other systems are there?

This post has been automatically translated.

• I've tried a few things, and in the end I still do best with the cheapest laptimer.

I have several laptimers, but mostly I drive with RacChrono Pro, with a Samsung A51 and a Qstartz 10Hz GPS mouse.

The RaceChrono Pro app costs around 20,-€, the GPS mouse from Qstartz around 90 - 100€, I have never had any problems and it has always worked.

Can you also see on my videos, they are almost all made with the RaceChrono.

Then I also drove a few years ago with the Track Precision app from Porsche, that worked super well until about the end of 2019, but since the latest updates I (and others) have only problems with it.

Now, however, a new update came out, maybe I'll try it again, whether it now works again.

Then I still have the Garmin Catalyst, which now works after some updates also very well, I also have no more problems.

The RN is honestly too expensive for me, I have these functions myself in the RaceChrono Plus, maybe not as extensive, but still very well done.

I would prefer if the Porsche app would work again, of course you have absolutely all the data, as I said, I'll probably try it on 17.04. at the DSK on the HHR, I do not think I'll get to the NoS before then.

- 2009 = verschiedene 944, 968, 928, G-Modell, 996

2009 - 2016 = 996 GT3 MK1 speedgelb, 996 GT3 MK2 mattschwarz RS-Umbau, 996 GT3 MK2 indisch-rot RS/Cup Umbau

2018 - 2019 = 718 Cayman S lavaorange

2020 = 997.1 GT3 Clubsport carrara-weiss

2021 = 718 Cayman GT4 CS racinggelb

2022 = 718 Cayman GT4 CS PDK --> foliert in Satin Metalic Lively Green

• Drove last year with HLT GP Edition ("Harry's Laptimer"). Also SAMSUNG A51 and the QSTARZ - mouse and OBDLink MX+. Basically good, the analysis - features and the overlays also. Vehicle - data unfortunately only 3Hz. Has sometimes disengaged, possibly because of Bluetooth - or WLAN - interference. Therefore, it is important either not to have a 2nd terminal in the car or turn off WLAN and Bluetooth in all others.

Now with the GT 4 I will test the Track - Precision app probably next Sunday at the SBR.

´16 Cayman 981 GT4 Clubsport pure white,

03/21 - 01/22 987 Cayman S VFL,

Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1,3 ´73,

NSU TT ´69

• Drove last year with HLT GP Edition ("Harry's Laptimer"). Also SAMSUNG A51 and the QSTARZ - mouse and OBDLink MX+. Basically good, the analysis - features and the overlays also. Vehicle - data unfortunately only 3Hz. Has sometimes disengaged, possibly because of Bluetooth - or WLAN - interference. Therefore, it is important either not to have a 2nd terminal in the car or turn off WLAN and Bluetooth in all others.

Now with the GT 4, I will probably test the Track - Precision app next Sunday on the SBR.

Yes, try it once, it is recently a new update of the Porsche Track Precision App appeared, I have it with me already and want to try it with it again, but only on Easter Sunday.

Report back how it worked for you on the RBR.

2009 - 2016 = 996 GT3 MK1 speedgelb, 996 GT3 MK2 mattschwarz RS-Umbau, 996 GT3 MK2 indisch-rot RS/Cup Umbau

• Garmin Catalyst, cheap, camera and nice features. Have him last year but only once tested on the GP course...

• Garmin Catalyst, cheap, camera and nice features. Have him last year but only once tested on the GP course....

I do not know if I could like the offered "Nanny" - coaching. But otherwise classic tool, because standalone.

´16 Cayman 981 GT4 Clubsport pure white,

03/21 - 01/22 987 Cayman S VFL,

Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1,3 ´73,

NSU TT ´69

• Garmin Catalyst, cheap, camera and nice features. Have him last year but only once tested on the GP course ...

Yes, I have also, have mostly both run, Catalyst and RaceChrono Pro.

The downside with Catalyst, it doesn't record the first lap and you can't hide the lap times., or turn them off when exporting.

But otherwise it works well, only on the NoS BTG he has not recognized the start points with me last year.

Franz Kofler

You can turn off the nanny tool, it's just annoying.

So it told me at the hairpin HHR when braking from 242km/h after the 150m mark "....später Bremsen". :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If someone has little race track experience, this can go badly wrong. As I said, I have turned off the announcements.

• I have a GoPro 8 lying around here and just got myself a mount for it. Basically I matte start tracking on the next trackday.

However, buying a GPS mouse is a bit of a challenge because the XT models from Qstarz is not compatible with the iPhone. Garmin Glo delivers with Apple instead of the paid 10Hz only 4 (if it runs well...) and Dual XGPS 160 is sold out everywhere. Remains the 1000ST version of Qstarz, which should cost but directly times EUR 249. Since I'm already wondering whether the tinkering solution with 3 devices in the car plus operation / merging via third party app in the end really fun or especially on the nerves goes.

I drove Saturday as part of a coaching with a Race Navigator One and then looked at the corresponding evaluations / lap comparisons on the iPad. I "unfortunately" liked that extremely well. How much worse is Garmin Catalyst in the evaluations (apart from the lack of a second camera)? The extra price for the RN is already hefty, on the other hand, you buy something (hopefully) only once and I have spent more money on more useless things in the configuration of the car.

• Totally agree with you, the coaching is bananas...disconnected it too. I was the Race Navigator Pro frankly too expensive, hence the Garmin. With the first lap it is better in my case that is not recorded, probably the system notices that the driver is still as cold as the tires ... :lol:

• I use Harry's Laptimer on the IPhone together with the XGPS160 with 10Hz.

I only use the laps and at most the sector times, or the theoretically fastest lap time from the fastest sector times to track my performance. How I drove the one or other curve notice in the moment itself.

Greetz

Nach 320'000 Spiegeleiern kann die Kantine nicht so schlecht gewesen sein!
    Harm Lagaay

PS: Ich heisse nicht Greetz k:thinking: