Additional oil cooler: fin vs. snake

• Moin,

have the cooling coil in the front of my 78 SC, but would like to upgrade to a finned radiator.

Has been in the basement for years, once shot cheap on Ebay: NOS - 930.207.053.00

This is the late finned radiator of the SC (...not the brassStabKühler) and also not the one of the 3.2, so it has no connection of a temp sensor to control the auxiliary fan.

Question:

If I see it correctly, then the cover plate in the wheel well, which protects the radiator from stone chipping was only installed with the 3.2 together with the fan. In the SC, the radiator was still "naked" in the wheel housing and without fan.

Can (and should) the cover plate also be installed without the fan? Or rather better draft without the cover plate, if the fan is not retrofitted with?

Fokke

P.S.: to the sense: yes, with me the Öltemp rises gladly, my engine is no longer the original 930/04...

This post has been automatically translated.

---------------------------------------
    911 SC, MJ 78, USA, 930/04
    944 S2, MJ 91
    Honda Zoomer Tokio Style

---------------------------------------

• Without sheet metal = no Go

A wrong stone and your oil spreads on the front wheel and then on the road

When my sc comes from the painter I will also convert

Bernd

Ps: have also nen 930/04😉

Nach jeder Menge Enttäuschungen jetzt nur noch Oldtimer :thumbsup:

BMW 323i Baur E21 BJ 1982

BMW 635 CSI E24 BJ 1985

Porsche 911 3.0 SC BJ 1982

Barkas B 1000 BJ 1978

• My SC already had the fin cooler without sensor and fan when I bought it, but with the guard plate.

Also think that you should not drive without fender.

Greetings Thomas

81er ex-US 911 SC Coupé, platinmet., eSSD, K-Leder sw., Turboheckflügel & -frontspoiler, NSW, Maxilite 7/8J, Bilstein Fw("SpoStra" - noch...), 915/61, 930/16 o.Kat, WebCam 20/21 NW, hydr.KS, Dansk 92.502SD, 123 Ignition, orig. Porsche SWV, Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit, Momo Prototipo m.Nabenerhöhung

„Nicht das Auto verdirbt den Charakter, aber wer keinen Charakter hat, sollte nicht Auto fahren.“

Ferdinand Porsche

• The radiator without temp sensor and fan is m.W.n. identical to the radiators in the Carreras without catalyst and / or climate. In any case, the RdW models of the 3.2er had as far as I know no radiator fan.

The fender behind the radiator must go but in any case also!

Greetings Tim

- 928 GTS Mj. 95

- 964 C2 Coupé, C00, Mj. 91

- 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupé (-2024)

- Boxster 987 Fl (-2021)

• le_fok

Yes, such a fine lamella radiator necessarily with protective plate.

For my core drilling in my Oldihalle I bought such fin guards made of aluminum, pieces for a few euros, on Ebay. Then I had the idea to take the also at my original 3.2 tube oil cooler, but then left it, because with the not necessary. The original fin guard would be too expensive for me, even if necessary.

Gruß

Rainer

3.2 Carrera Cabrio, Bj. 11/83, Sportauspuff und KAT-100Zeller von DANSK, späte DME, ca. 230PS, 7"+8" Maxilite.

• As a supplement - this and other discussions on the subject of oil coolers in the G model - they were already often a topic here. As for the topic of the fan, we had some things together here:

Further as said with the search one becomes fast fündig:

https://www.pff.de/wcf/search-…=%C3%B6lk%C3%BChler+blech

Greetings, Thomas

81er ex-US 911 SC Coupé, platinmet., eSSD, K-Leder sw., Turboheckflügel & -frontspoiler, NSW, Maxilite 7/8J, Bilstein Fw("SpoStra" - noch...), 915/61, 930/16 o.Kat, WebCam 20/21 NW, hydr.KS, Dansk 92.502SD, 123 Ignition, orig. Porsche SWV, Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit, Momo Prototipo m.Nabenerhöhung

„Nicht das Auto verdirbt den Charakter, aber wer keinen Charakter hat, sollte nicht Auto fahren.“

Ferdinand Porsche

Edited once, last by Schulisco ().

• Does anyone here happen to know what threads are used on lines and directly on the oil cooler?

Viele Grüße

Andi

• im Schwarzwald daheim

• 991 GT3 RS | Backdate SC

• Insta: @a_brxxn

• Hello Unknown/pred,

found by search among others:

Greeting, Thomas

Ferdinand Porsche

• Hello Fokke,

a 78 ziger here with us does not need other radiators, also not in the border range.

It is much more important to clean the cooling fins at the cylinder heads, all oil lines etc..

But for that you have to remove the whole K Jetronic and the air duct, then you can clean the fins perfectly.

You'll be surprised how dirt and oil have made the whole thing overgrown.

The intervention made the oil temperature drop by about 10°.

Even after a hard drive and high heat the pointer goes max. to 9:00.

If you already have the other cooler, it can not hurt in any case.

• Hello Unknown/pred,

found by search among others:

Greetings, Thomas

Thanks Thomas

Greeting Andi :)

Viele Grüße

Andi

• im Schwarzwald daheim

• 991 GT3 RS | Backdate SC

• Insta: @a_brxxn